Author Topic: Arizona House Bill 2748 - Making Illegal Immigration a State Crime  (Read 926 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
While I might see all kinds of issues with this, I also see that we are truly in a mode of telling D.C. to GFI.  I=Itself.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/legislature/2024/02/13/arizona-border-bill-advances-sb-1070/72570004007/

The Arizona Invasion Act (House Bill 2748, SB 1231), introduced by Republicans Sen. Janae Shamp and Rep. Joseph Chaplik, would classify the crossing of undocumented immigrants outside of a legal port of entry at the southern Arizona border as a state crime, would allow local judges to decide immigration cases and would provide civil immunity to local agents for damages resulting from actions taken during enforcement of this law.

Good for them.

Of course, the specter of SB 1070 is raised immediately.

Poder Latinx Executive Director Yadira Sánchez told The Arizona Republic/La Voz in an email that immigration issues require a federal response, “not a state-level imitation of past unconstitutional efforts like SB 1070. Let us prioritize constructive dialogue with lawmakers in Washington, calling for the passage of comprehensive immigration reform that uplifts our entire community, including the 11 million immigrants vital to the progress of our nation.”

Well, I am not sympathetic.

Now, it's our turn to say you had your chance.  You should have engaged Schumer in a dialogue that said...you really need to come across or else we'll feel this kind of thing.  I can't recall exactly where Texas is (not geographically speaking), but I am sure they'll watch this one closely.

It will be a good opportunity to flush out Hobbs on yet another issue.

While I don't like seeing things that are divisive, enough is enough.  And since we are never going to get the "perfect" bill in D.C. (although there seem to be some who believe it could happen...... :silly: :silly: :silly:), why not just advance what a lot are thinking.

I guess we'll see.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Arizona House Bill 2748 - Making Illegal Immigration a State Crime
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 04:29:03 am »
 :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: Arizona House Bill 2748 - Making Illegal Immigration a State Crime
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 12:15:57 am »
In the committee hearing, Rep. Marcelino Quiñonez, D-Phoenix, questioned the bill, which Republicans say was the result of calls for action from border sheriffs.

“We know this bill is unconstitutional, but we are going through this exercise for talking points," the lawmaker said.

"This is not serious policy. Texas is going through it, it's going through the court," he added.

Critics has also said the legislation that harkens back to Senate Bill 1070, a controversial immigration bill that was signed into law by former Republican Gov. Jan Brewer in 2010 that later had some parts stripped by the United States Supreme Court, according to the Arizona Republic.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/arizona/article_87ae0214-cb61-11ee-b45e-0f5e3a5f528e.html

They can blow it out their backsides.

They've done nothing.  Absolutely nothing to stem the tide.

And this is deadly serious policy.  Yes, if it is going through the courts in Texas then they just might get it done.

Either way, we need this to happen.  So Biden can get into it like Brewer and Obama did.

But, of course, Hobbs will kill it.  That only gives whoever is going to run against her (and if Lake stays on her senate run and loses, I'm done with her....someone else for governor) a club to whack away at Hobbs with.