Author Topic: House Democrat demands $50-per-hour federal minimum wage: 'Just do​ the math!'  (Read 1242 times)

Online libertybele

The overboard insanity amazes me.  How flippin' stupid can you get?  Honestly?  Obviously she thought this well through.  *****rollingeyes*****  I wonder which party she blames for the 'affordability crisis'?

House Democrat demands $50-per-hour federal minimum wage: 'Just do​ the math!'

Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) argued on Monday that a $50-per-hour minimum wage is mathematically coherent.

At a debate for candidates vying for the late Dianne Feinstein's U.S. Senate seat, Lee tried to justify her demand that the U.S. government mandate that businesses pay their employees a minimum of $50 per hour.

"In the Bay Area, I believe it was the United Way that came out with a report very recently: $127,000 for a family of four is just barely enough to get by," Lee said. "Another survey very recently: $104,000 for a family of one — barely enough to get by ... because of the affordability crisis."

California's cost-of-living problems, especially in the Bay Area, are no secret. But how would Lee's proposal be paid for?
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use, and agree to receive content that may sometimes include advertisements. You may opt out at any time.

"Just do the math!" she argued.

The other two Democrats on stage — Reps. Adam Schiff and Katie Porter — support minimum wages of between $20 and $25 per hour. The lone Republican, former MLB star Steve Garvey, however, delivered a reality check explaining why Lee's demand is counterproductive.

"If you look at what California has done to fast-food franchises right now: increasing the minimum wage to $20. Then what's going to happen? That's going to increase costs for hard-working Californians to go to a franchise," he pointed out. "Instead of a Big Mac for $9, it's going to be $15."

Indeed, California businesses have done the math.

Their calculations of the increased cost of labor from minimum-wage hikes show business owners must make a decision when the government forces them to raise wages: they pass along that cost to the consumer or reduce the size of their workforce to offset the payroll increase................

https://www.conservativereview.com/house-democrat-demands-50-per-hour-federal-minimum-wage-just-do-the-math-2667275479.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

I envy leftist

I mean that sincerely. It would be nice to see the world through the innocent eyes of a child where there are no consequences for the things that they believe
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

Math is hard.

Offline Hoodat

Why stop at $50?  Why not $100/hr?  $200/hr?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Math is hard.
For people like Lee, math is inconceivable **nononono* I have to wonder what her response to someone like Garvey would be when they pointed out the reality of increasing the minimum wage and how it would put businesses out of business? No scratch that, I already know what a stupid communist like Lee would say...'the businesses could afford it if the owners weren't so greedy' **nononono*

Online roamer_1

For people like Lee, math is inconceivable **nononono* I have to wonder what her response to someone like Garvey would be when they pointed out the reality of increasing the minimum wage and how it would put businesses out of business? No scratch that, I already know what a stupid communist like Lee would say...'the businesses could afford it if the owners weren't so greedy' **nononono*

That's right. They can't even conceive of the idea that labor is a cost of doing business, and that it is baked in. Raise the cost of labor and the price of the product must go up.

That results in the long term in the market adjusting products upward and the value of labor is exactly the same as it was before, pursuant to value - The money is just a way of keeping score.

You can be broke at 15 bucks an hour and it is exactly the same thing as being broke at 25, when the cost of goods adjust

The whole dang thing is a stupid ass shell game.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
There used to be a base line level of acceptable intelligence needed to hold public office at the federal level. 

We are rapidly sinking to 3rd world status.  I give us 50 years.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That's right. They can't even conceive of the idea that labor is a cost of doing business, and that it is baked in. Raise the cost of labor and the price of the product must go up.

That results in the long term in the market adjusting products upward and the value of labor is exactly the same as it was before, pursuant to value - The money is just a way of keeping score.

You can be broke at 15 bucks an hour and it is exactly the same thing as being broke at 25, when the cost of goods adjust

The whole dang thing is a stupid ass shell game.
They think they are going to buy votes with the promise of high wages, that may work once but when people start losing their jobs because a business either cuts staff along with raising prices, or simply because the owner can't operate at a loss and then those same people find that they haven't gotten ahead after all because of the huge price increases. Of course along with all that will be the sticker shock when they see their new tax bracket, those first paychecks are always an eyeopener :silly:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
There used to be a base line level of acceptable intelligence needed to hold public office at the federal level. 

We are rapidly sinking to 3rd world status.  I give us 50 years.

Today the Stupid people elect even stupider people to rep them. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

Baa-Baa Lee, Ron "Red" Dellums' chosen successor. She's running for US Senator to replace Di-Fei, against Schifftyroo and Cat-Woman-Katie Porter, among others.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online mountaineer

Why stop at $50?  Why not $100/hr?  $200/hr?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
catfish prognosticates:
"We are rapidly sinking to 3rd world status.  I give us 50 years."

I predict the collapse will occur more rapidly.
How about 20-25 years... if that long?

When it happens, it will be almost as rapid as when the World Trade Center collapsed. One watched, almost in disbelief, that it could come down in the span of 60 seconds or less...

Offline The_Reader_David

The relevant response to this nonsense was offered by Thomas Sowell:

“Unfortunately, the real minimum wage is always zero, regardless of the laws, and that is the wage that many workers receive in the wake of the creation or escalation of a government-mandated minimum wage, because they lose their jobs or fail to find jobs when they enter the labor force. Making it illegal to pay less than a given amount does not make a worker’s productivity worth that amount—and, if it is not, that worker is unlikely to be employed.”

This being Black History Month, whenever possible we should quote Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams and Coleman Hughes against whatever nonsense the Left is spouting and then remind them that we're quoting African-Americans.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.