Author Topic: Visa, Mastercard, American Express Implementing Code to Track Gun Purchase Information in California  (Read 833 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Visa, Mastercard, American Express Implementing Code to Track Gun Purchase Information in California

AWR Hawkins 13 Feb 2024

Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are implementing a special merchant code to track gun and gun-related purchases in California.

CBS News reported that the new merchant code will be used to comply with a “California law that will allow banks to potentially track suspicious gun purchases and report them to law enforcement.”

This comes after major credit cards adopted then rescinded plans to use a new merchant code to track gun and gun-related purchases nationally.

On September 11, 2022, Breitbart News pointed out that Visa caved to pressure from gun control groups and New York Democrats, agreeing to flag gun and ammo purchases via a merchant code. The Associated Press observed that Mastercard and other major credit card companies also agreed to flag gun sales.

On March 2, 2023, Breitbart News noted that Discover was slated to begin tracking gun and ammunition purchases with the new merchant category code (MCC) in April 2023. This news created a feeling of momentum for the left, countered by a wave of pushback among conservatives.

On March 9, 2023, Breitbart News reported that Visa and Mastercard pivoted amidst the pushback and announced they would not begin tracking gun and ammunition purchases anytime soon.

But the major credit companies now plan to use a merchant code to track gun and gun-related sales to comply with a new law in California. The Washington Examiner noted that the California law goes into effect in 2025.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2024/02/13/visa-mastercard-american-express-implementing-code-to-track-gun-purchase-information-in-california/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Furgheddaboutit, Jake -- it's California.

(do weapons stores there still accept cash?)

Offline mountaineer

“California law that will allow banks to potentially track suspicious gun purchases and report them to law enforcement.”

I'm guessing this means all gun purchases. Who decides what is or isn't suspicious? The credit card companies will figure it's better safe than sorry to call all purchases suspicious.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well I don't have credit...so no credit cards, and why would I use a debit card for a gun purchase? Here in Californication they will know what I buy no matter what since gun sales are reported and the ninth circus put the states ammo bullshit back into effect. As far as ammo if I can't get it without Der Fuhrer Noisome and his Brownshirts knowing I will just keep buying cases, components and powder.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Hmm, I wonder if this applies to sales on military installations which are federal property... :smokin:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline roamer_1

Well I don't have credit...so no credit cards, and why would I use a debit card for a gun purchase? Here in Californication they will know what I buy no matter what since gun sales are reported and the ninth circus put the states ammo bullshit back into effect. As far as ammo if I can't get it without Der Fuhrer Noisome and his Brownshirts knowing I will just keep buying cases, components and powder.

That's right. buy used, pay cash. No record. Easy

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@mystery-ak

Visa, Mastercard, and American Express are implementing a special merchant code to track gun and gun-related purchases in California.

What an odd way to spell "America".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline libertybele

Something tells me that this won't be limited to just tracking those purchases in CA.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hmm, I wonder if this applies to sales on military installations which are federal property... :smokin:

@SZonian

Good question,and one I had not even considered.

I seriously doubt it will apply  to sales on military installations,though. No way are the people who run the country going to allow a state to tell them what to do.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!