Author Topic: Can the Houthis be Stopped?  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Can the Houthis be Stopped?
« on: February 13, 2024, 05:44:34 pm »
February 12, 2024   
Can the Houthis be Stopped?

Initially, the Houthis used Israel’s response to Hamas and sympathy for Palestinians as a welcomed excuse for attacks on civilian vessels transiting the Red Sea, which hosts over 12 percent of global trade and 30 percent of container traffic. The ongoing assaults against vessels, many of which have no clear linkage to Israel, have forced shippers to take alternative routes and some producers to suspend production to avoid goods getting stuck at sea or incurring exorbitant additional fuel and insurance costs.

by Mary Beth Long

To almost everyone only a short while ago, the Houthis of Yemen were considered a violent political and military group with strong tribal underpinnings, comprised mainly of Shia Islamists opposed to the ruling class. The insurgency was not considered a particularly sophisticated military menace, although it did present a danger to Yemen’s legitimate government and its neighbors, especially Saudi Arabia.

Few would have listed the Houthis as a threat to global concerns, even taking into consideration the increasing evidence of Iranian military cooperation with the insurgents.

After October 7, everything changed. The Houthis are now a serious threat to the global economy, and it’s unclear what can be done to stop them.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Can the Houthis be Stopped?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 05:45:21 pm »
Not by the US, obviously! :thud:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson