Author Topic: Senate passes Ukraine funding in predawn vote  (Read 389 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate passes Ukraine funding in predawn vote
« on: February 13, 2024, 02:13:21 pm »
Senate passes Ukraine funding in predawn vote
by Alexander Bolton and Aris Folley - 02/13/24 6:39 AM ET

The Senate voted early Tuesday morning to pass a $95 billion emergency defense spending bill, including $60 billion for Ukraine, after an all-night filibuster by conservative opponents finally ran out of steam shortly after 5 a.m.

The 70-29 vote capped nearly a week of floor debate and four months of wrangling over President Biden’s request to fund the war in Ukraine, which he submitted to Congress in October.

Weary senators voted on the legislation shortly before sunrise after conservatives led by Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) spoke through the night to vent their objections to the bill.

But a group of Republicans led by Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) voted with the overwhelming majority of Senate Democrats to pass the bill.

Twenty-two Republican senators voted to pass the bill, a greater number than voted to advance it in any of the earlier procedural votes.

Two Democrats voted no, Sens. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) and Peter Welch (D-Vt.), citing deep concerns over supporting Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s military campaign in Gaza. The measure would provide $14 billion in security assistance to Israel.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) also voted against it for the same reason.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) hailed the bill as a declaration that “American leadership will not waver, not falter, not fail.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4464434-senate-passes-ukraine-funding/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Senate passes Ukraine funding in predawn vote
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 02:16:57 pm »
Here are all 22 Senate Republicans who voted in support of the spending bill:

Sen. John Boozman (Ark.)
    Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.)
    Sen. Bill Cassidy (La.)
    Sen. Susan Collins (Me.)
    Sen. John Cornyn (Texas)
    Sen. Kevin Cramer (N.D.)
    Sen. Mike Crapo (Idaho)
    Sen. Joni Ernst (Iowa)
    Sen. Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
    Sen. John Hoeven (N.D.)
    Sen. John Kennedy (La.)
    Sen. Mitch McConnell (Ky.)
    Sen. Jerry Moran (Kan.)
    Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
    Sen. James Risch (Idaho)
    Sen. Mitt Romney (Utah)
    Sen. Mike Rounds (S.D.)
    Sen. Dan Sullivan (Alaska)
    Sen. John Thune (S.D.)
    Sen. Thom Tillis (N.C.)
    Sen. Roger Wicker (Miss.)
    Sen. Todd Young (Ind.)
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 02:18:55 pm »
Speaker Johnson rebuffs Senate Ukraine package
by Mike Lillis and Mychael Schnell - 02/13/24 6:00 AM ET

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) on Monday rejected a bipartisan Senate proposal providing aid to Ukraine and other foreign allies, raising new questions about how — or if — Congress will adopt the assistance ahead of November’s elections.

The Senate legislation, which would provide billions of dollars in military assistance for Ukraine and Israel, among other foreign aid provisions, passed the upper chamber early Tuesday morning with more than a dozen Republicans on board.

But Johnson is sending clear signals that he won’t bring the bill to the House floor because it lacks the tougher border security measures House Republicans had demanded months ago, at the outset of debate.

“[In] the absence of having received any single border policy change from the Senate, the House will have to continue to work its own will on these important matters,” Johnson said Monday night in a statement. “America deserves better than the Senate’s status quo.”

The Speaker’s position is a shot at his Senate counterpart, Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), who is racing to secure more funding for Ukraine’s beleaguered military forces two years into Russia’s invasion.

It also aligns House Republicans squarely with former President Trump, the runaway favorite to clinch the GOP’s presidential nomination, who opposes more Ukraine aid and is pressing congressional Republicans to do the same.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4463791-speaker-johnson-ukraine-aid-rebuff/
Support the USO

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 02:24:42 pm »
We will see if the House Pubs can stay united. Obviously we have 22 Pubs in the Senate that are establishment loyalists and what is so disappointing is most of these Senators come from conservative States.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 03:09:52 pm »
February 13, 2024
The ‘new’ Ukraine Bill still hides the truth and still funds Gaza and the West Bank
By Anony Mee

Senators Murray and Schumer, after last week’s defeat of the 370-page long, $118,214,271,000 “Border Bill,” have proposed a new amendment to HR-815. This new “Ukraine Bill” (S Amendment 1388) is only 82 pages long and has a price tag of $95,628,914,000, just $22.6 billion less than its predecessor. It has two sections—the National Security Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2024, and the Fend Off Fentanyl Act.

The new Ukraine bill portion that the Senate Democrats hope to pass this week is just a hacked-up version of last week’s border bill. They renumbered Section 3801 of the earlier amendment as Section 3401, but it still prohibits calculating the true cost of this bill and its impact on the budget. As I wrote earlier, this hamstrings their congressional colleagues and the President in executing their duties to manage federal appropriations. House members who are ultimately responsible for the budget, especially the majority Republicans, should not tolerate this.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/02/the_new_ukraine_bill_still_hides_the_truth_and_still_funds_gaza_and_the_west_bank.html
Support the USO

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 03:17:17 pm »
So, Biden would see Ukraine, Taiwan, and Israel lose rather than secure the Border?

Why is Biden prioritizing Open Borders over national security?  WTF is in it for him?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 04:19:03 pm »
So, Biden would see Ukraine, Taiwan, and Israel lose rather than secure the Border?

Why is Biden prioritizing Open Borders over national security?  WTF is in it for him?
I think clearly that Biden and his puppet master's main goal is the destruction of America as we know it and if they can bring down Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine(though I personally can't see how Ukraine wins in the end) in the process it's all just icing on the new world order cake.