Author Topic: Mike Gallagher Calls It Quits  (Read 278 times)

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Mike Gallagher Calls It Quits
« on: February 12, 2024, 03:46:50 pm »
Considered a rising star in the Party, he's not running for re-election.

He voted against the impeachment of doofus.  Of course, this brought the usual cry of "Primary him".

Whatever.

His loss is a big one in my book.  He's smart and apparently very good on National Security (oh, I can hear the cat calls now).

But that is what you get when a system works such that in the Macro it's a good deal, but one micro mis-step and it's all pitchforks and fire.

Saying that "Congress is no place to grow old", I suspect he's got other reasons. I doubt he's worried about a primary.  I just have to wonder if these guys want to get their names off of the biggest S-show in the history of the country.

Of course, you don't see Adam Schiff stepping down (which is toooooo bad).  He is a major star of the show.

Green Bay will send another conservative.  But we lose that experience.  And it's always a wild card.  We'll find out.

In the end, I think it's a bummer he's leaving.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
Re: Mike Gallagher Calls It Quits
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 01:05:10 am »
https://www.wsj.com/politics/mike-gallagher-retires-quits-congress-00dae773

The 39-year-old former Marine Corps intelligence officer cast the decision as personal, saying that he had always planned to treat his service in Congress as “a deployment, not a career.” His departure will further erode the ranks of GOP committee chairs, following decisions by other Republican chairs not to see another term.

“Eight years is a long deployment, and it’s been a hell of a deployment,” Gallagher said in an interview. A married father of two, Gallagher also said he hoped to expand his family and that “Congress is not an ideal place to build and raise a family.”

He had previously ruled out a run for the U.S. Senate, saying he preferred to stay in the House, where he felt his work as a committee chair would make a lasting impact. Republicans had hoped he would run because the Wisconsin Senate seat is one of eight Democratic-held seats rated by the Cook Political Report, a non–partisan election arbiter, as at risk of falling to Republican hands. Gallagher has also consistently outperformed former GOP President Donald Trump, and his principal campaign committee had more than $4 million in cash on hand at the end of 2023, federal records show—more than any other House Republican.

Bummer.  Big loss in my opinion.

Maybe Kari Lake can move to Wisconsin, grow some savy, and be their senator.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 01:06:58 am by HikerGuy83 »