Author Topic: A sniper killed a Florida bank robber as he held a knife to a hostage's throat  (Read 1776 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A sniper killed a Florida bank robber as he held a knife to a hostage's throat

Authorities say a would-be bank robber in Florida took hostages after law enforcement arrived and was killed by a sheriff’s sniper as he held a woman in a headlock with a knife to her throat

ByThe Associated Press
February 7, 2024, 1:45 PM

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- As officers tried to get a would-be bank robber in Florida to surrender, the man decided instead to take two hostages. Then he put one of them in a headlock and held a knife to her throat — and that's when a sheriff's sniper ended it.

The 36-year-old attempted robber, who claimed to have a bomb, died. But the woman he tried to use as a shield, the other hostage and everyone else at the scene just outside Fort Myers escaped without injury.

The robbery attempt, hostage situation and sniper fire brought a bustling suburban area lined with chain restaurants, hotels, an outdoor mall and office buildings to a terrifying halt around lunchtime Tuesday as the Lee County Sheriff’s Office responded with tools including a robotic dog, drones, a battering ram and a SWAT team.

The sheriff didn't say where the sniper shot from, but SWAT members had surrounded the bank. Video on the sheriff's office Facebook page shows several deputies standing, rifles raised, near an entrance to the bank alongside a negotiator who talks with the man seconds before a shot rings out. Other video from outside the bank shows a deputy being raised in a platform with an armored front loader.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sniper-killed-florida-bank-robber-held-knife-hostages-107034218
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I'll bet the perp's family will file a lawsuit against the deputy. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

I'll bet the perp's family will file a lawsuit against the deputy.
No doubt. He was such a good boy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
We need more "Feel Good" stories like this.

FL is a FAFO state.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

We need more "Feel Good" stories like this.

FL is a FAFO state.

Yeah. I love a happy ending.  happy77

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Great marksmanship!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: