Author Topic: Protesters Blocking Traffic on NYC Streets Could Be Charged As ‘Domestic Terrorists’ Under New Bill  (Read 1197 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Protesters Blocking Traffic on NYC Streets Could Be Charged As ‘Domestic Terrorists’ Under New Bill
© Provided by Mediaite

A new bill would make it an act of “domestic terrorism” to intentionally block traffic on New York City streets.

Assemblywoman Stacey Pheffer Amato (D-Queens) introduced the bill to tackle the chaos caused by protests, like those in recent months related to the Israel-Hamas war. Amato is up for a rematch this year against a Republican she narrowly defeated in 2022, and “insiders said the bill could be an effort to win over a district that has swung more conservative in recent years,” The New York Post reported.

Documents arguing for the bill read, “While people have the right to protest, they do not have the right to cause fear, panic and put the lives of other people in danger.” Anyone convicted of the class D felony could be sentenced up to seven years in prison, The Post reported.
Assemblyman Sam Berger (D-Queens) has co-sponsored the bill.

Since the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas attack on Israel and Israel’s military response, public protests have made some New York City streets impassable. The Post reported that rush-hour commutes have been disrupted along major thoroughfares like the Brooklyn Bridge and the Holland Tunnel.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/protesters-blocking-traffic-on-nyc-streets-could-be-charged-as-domestic-terrorists-under-new-bill/ar-BB1i5G9s?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=235bf52ea0e545b293fdf22413ed4815&ei=29
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I can already see how this will turn out.  Real rioters, like Black Lives Matter, won't get charged with anything while conservative, peaceful protestors will.  With Bragg as the PA, it can't be any other way.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson