Author Topic: Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack NATO allies who pay too little  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/11/donald-trump-says-he-would-encourage-russia-to-attack-nato-countries-who-dont-pay-bills

Seeking a second presidency as the Republicans’ presumptive 2024 White House nominee, Donald Trump has said he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies whom he considers to have not met their financial obligations.

The White House described the remarks as “appalling and unhinged”. Trump made the statement on Saturday during a campaign rally in Conway, South Carolina, ahead of the state’s Republican presidential preference primary on 24 February.

The former president has voiced misgivings about aid to Ukraine as it defends itself from the invasion launched by Russia in February 2022 – as well as to the existence of Nato, the 31-nation alliance which the US has committed to defending when necessary.

A man and a woman sit in front of a World Economic Forum sign and a US flag.
Trump told European leaders that US ‘will never come to help you’
Read more
On Saturday, Trump claimed that during an unspecified Nato meeting he told a fellow head of state that the US under his leadership would not defend any countries who were “delinquent”.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

White House spokesperson Andrew Bates, asked about Trump’s comments, said, “encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability and our economy at home.”

EXCERPT

So how does that square with the "Trump the Peacemaker" rhetoric?

Meanwhile over at TOS:

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4216602/posts
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 02:01:32 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

So how does that square with the "Trump the Peacemaker" rhetoric?

Reckless (no control over his muscular hydrostat)

TOS is eating it up of course. (opps, see you have even linked it).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 02:04:00 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline kevindavis007

The prevailing rhetoric, which inadvertently casts doubt on Trump’s alleged ties to Russia, does not serve to bolster his position. Consequently, one might question: Why should I cast my vote in favor of Trump after being exposed to this particular narrative?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

Pulled, the reason:

This out of context TDS garbage has already been posted - it’s in breaking news

Here is the new post: https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4216553/posts
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 02:09:20 pm by kevindavis007 »

Offline Timber Rattler

JimRob immediately pulled the story, calling it "TDS garbage" and sent me a nasty message.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline andy58-in-nh

Donald really needs one of these:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Does Trump want to win this election or not!   9999hair out0000

White House calls Trump comments on NATO ‘appalling and unhinged’
by Tara Suter - 02/10/24 11:04 PM ET

The White House appeared to slam former President Trump over comments he made about NATO in a Saturday statement.

“Thanks to President Biden’s experienced leadership, NATO is now the largest and most vital it has ever been,” White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in the statement. “Encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability, and our economy at home.”

At a rally in South Carolina Saturday, the former president spoke about his time as president and how he worked with NATO. He called the organization “busted” before he entered the presidency, and seemingly made reference to contributions that the members have to make to the alliance.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up, said, “Well, sir, if we don’t pay and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said at the rally. “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent. He said, ‘Yes, let’s say that happened.’ No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want.”

At the same rally, Trump railed against a Senate foreign aid bill, saying instead that the U.S. should “give it to ‘em as a loan.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4461004-white-house-calls-trump-comments-on-nato-appalling-and-unhinged/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Does Trump want to win this election or not!   9999hair out0000

White House calls Trump comments on NATO ‘appalling and unhinged’
by Tara Suter - 02/10/24 11:04 PM ET

The White House appeared to slam former President Trump over comments he made about NATO in a Saturday statement.

“Thanks to President Biden’s experienced leadership, NATO is now the largest and most vital it has ever been,” White House spokesperson Andrew Bates said in the statement. “Encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes is appalling and unhinged – and it endangers American national security, global stability, and our economy at home.”

At a rally in South Carolina Saturday, the former president spoke about his time as president and how he worked with NATO. He called the organization “busted” before he entered the presidency, and seemingly made reference to contributions that the members have to make to the alliance.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up, said, “Well, sir, if we don’t pay and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said at the rally. “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent. He said, ‘Yes, let’s say that happened.’ No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want.”

At the same rally, Trump railed against a Senate foreign aid bill, saying instead that the U.S. should “give it to ‘em as a loan.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4461004-white-house-calls-trump-comments-on-nato-appalling-and-unhinged/

No he doesn't

Offline LMAO

He just threw the Biden administration a lifeline
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
He just threw the Biden administration a lifeline

Yes he did...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline the OlLine Rebel

Pulled, the reason:

This out of context TDS garbage has already been posted - it’s in breaking news

Here is the new post: https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/4216553/posts

Those butt-kissing sycophants have TDS Type II - Trump is their whole world and their master.  It’s like Jim Jones.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Timber Rattler

Those butt-kissing sycophants have TDS Type II - Trump is their whole world and their master.  It’s like Jim Jones.

Yeah, they do, and it's poisonous.  I remember once upon a time when that board was all about freedom and liberty, not only here in the U.S. but also throughout the world.

Now, it's just populated mostly by Trump sycophants, conspiracy theorists and whack jobs, pro-Kremlin trolls, appeasers, neo-isolationists, and pure old idiots.  So instead of standing up against tyranny and slaughter they praise murderous despots like Putin and demand unconditional surrender to totalitarianism just because it is more convenient.  Better red than dead with that crowd these days.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
This guy increasingly lives on a planet that I don't.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I tongue in cheek said on another thread that this election is like a Zappa song.  And not in a good way.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

Yes he did...

Ditto.  He needs to learn to keep his dang mouth shut. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Ditto.  He needs to learn to keep his dang mouth shut.

"I Had the Right to Remain Silent.....  But I Didn't Have the Ability"

-----  Ron White ....June 6, 2006
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump's Russia love is a hard and fast reason I would not vote for him.  I think his flirtations with dictators who flatter him is a flat-out disqualifier.

I imagine the excuse some of his supporters would make for this is that it is just typical Trump hyperbole, and he probably doesn't mean it.  The problem with that explanation is that is not how the rest of the world, including both enemies and allies, see it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:49:56 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline roamer_1

Trump's Russia love is a hard and fast reason I would not vote for him.  I think his flirtations with dictators who flatter him is a flat-out disqualifier.

I imagine the excuse some of his supporters would make for this is that it is just typical Trump hyperbole, and he probably doesn't mean it.  The problem with that explanation is that is not how the rest of the world, including both enemies and allies, see it.

Me too - but that is in the handling. Tumpy obviously built an opening toward better relations. He also seems to have turned the Democrats against mother Russia... An interesting confluence, that.

A friendly demeanor in such things is fine... Even a magnanimous one. After all, the very best defense against Russian aggression is very probably good business. If everybody is making money and economies are lifting because of a good relationship, it becomes a matter of Russian interest to beat their swords into plowshares - That's how Ukraine should have been handled too, btw...

So the overtures don't bother me. And in that fashion, I would give Tumpy credit... He did make that opening.

BUT (and here's the big hairy but), that is a rigorous game, both sides operating from adversarial positions - Lawyers might pick up what I'm putting down here... They live inside of a rigorously maintained formal system based in amiable adversity. Salesmanship (more Tumpy's domain) operates in a similar but loose fashion, with the lawyers taking over after the glad-handing is done.

I think Tumpy made an excellent opening. I think he made word with Putin. But that word had all the consistency of the rest of Tumpy's efforts - Gone like a fart in a windstorm the very day he left office... Leaving Russian diplomacy in the hands of the pissed off Democrats... And left Putin as the bag-holder.

I am not pro-Putin. But I do believe that decades in the political world have made him a silver fox. I do not believe he would do as he is without either a blessing from the west, or being forced into the position. I don't know what that means. But I think Tumpy cooked a deal he couldn't carry - A deal that went sour when Tumpy lost power. Whatever that deal was, it surely pissed off the Democrats, and they have jumped on Russia with all four feet.

That's what I think.
Can't prove it... Just looking at the sign.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I would think by now that people would be used to these harangues by the orange man.  This is his modus operandi and he is not going to change. It is both a gift and a curse.  It is a gift because it nearly always causes his enemies to become unhinged and overreach. It is a curse because it ensures he can never really get a large, Reaganesque plurality of the vote.

My advise is the same as it always was. Just let Trump be Trump and try not to get too triggered by what you see. This is going to be a helluva bumpy ride between now and November. 

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Me too - but that is in the handling. Tumpy obviously built an opening toward better relations. He also seems to have turned the Democrats against mother Russia... An interesting confluence, that.

A friendly demeanor in such things is fine... Even a magnanimous one. After all, the very best defense against Russian aggression is very probably good business. If everybody is making money and economies are lifting because of a good relationship, it becomes a matter of Russian interest to beat their swords into plowshares - That's how Ukraine should have been handled too, btw...

So the overtures don't bother me. And in that fashion, I would give Tumpy credit... He did make that opening.

BUT (and here's the big hairy but), that is a rigorous game, both sides operating from adversarial positions - Lawyers might pick up what I'm putting down here... They live inside of a rigorously maintained formal system based in amiable adversity. Salesmanship (more Tumpy's domain) operates in a similar but loose fashion, with the lawyers taking over after the glad-handing is done.

I think Tumpy made an excellent opening. I think he made word with Putin. But that word had all the consistency of the rest of Tumpy's efforts - Gone like a fart in a windstorm the very day he left office... Leaving Russian diplomacy in the hands of the pissed off Democrats... And left Putin as the bag-holder.

I am not pro-Putin. But I do believe that decades in the political world have made him a silver fox. I do not believe he would do as he is without either a blessing from the west, or being forced into the position. I don't know what that means. But I think Tumpy cooked a deal he couldn't carry - A deal that went sour when Tumpy lost power. Whatever that deal was, it surely pissed off the Democrats, and they have jumped on Russia with all four feet.

That's what I think.

I don't/didn't have a problem with Trump attempting friendlier personal relationships with adversarial nations as a potential route to better national relations.  They're just words, so why not at least try for a fresh start?

The problem is that I now believe Trump wasn't just doing that as a tactic, but rather has a genuine liking for "strongman" styles of leadership.  So it wasn't a gambit - it was how he actually sees those countries, and I think he lets his personal feelings for a country's leaders be the determining element for national policy towards that country.  That's ass-backwards.  I think he actually likes Putin, and is in favor of a Russian victory because he sees Ukraine as being more pro-Biden, and Russia being more pro-Trump.  And that's enough for him.

Putin has wanted to rebuild the Soviet Union pretty much ever since it fell apart, and has looked for opportunities to do so.  I also think he has become more desperate as he gets older because he doesn't want to leave the task undone.  He tried to install a puppet regime in Kiev back in 2014, and the Ukrainians rebelled.  He now saw an opportunity in 2022, so he took it.

I think Trump would pressure Ukraine to give it to Putin early in his second term.  Might do the same with some of the other Republics as well, and I wouldn't be shocked if he started disparaging the Baltic states either, and started making comments about their Russian-speaking population, etc..

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's what I think.

General agreement there, Trump handled Putin about as well as it could be handled.

My trillion dollar question is why do the Rats want to keep poking the Bear?
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I don't/didn't have a problem with Trump attempting friendlier personal relationships with adversarial nations as a potential route to better national relations.  They're just words, so why not at least try for a fresh start?

The problem is that I now believe Trump wasn't just doing that as a tactic, but rather has a genuine liking for "strongman" styles of leadership.  So it wasn't a gambit - it was how he actually sees those countries, and I think he lets his personal feelings for a country's leaders be the determining element for national policy towards that country.  That's ass-backwards.  I think he actually likes Putin, and is in favor of a Russian victory because he sees Ukraine as being more pro-Biden, and Russia being more pro-Trump.  And that's enough for him.

Putin has wanted to rebuild the Soviet Union pretty much ever since it fell apart, and has looked for opportunities to do so.  I also think he has become more desperate as he gets older because he doesn't want to leave the task undone.  He tried to install a puppet regime in Kiev back in 2014, and the Ukrainians rebelled.  He now saw an opportunity in 2022, so he took it.

I think Trump would pressure Ukraine to give it to Putin early in his second term.  Might do the same with some of the other Republics as well, and I wouldn't be shocked if he started disparaging the Baltic states either, and started making comments about their Russian-speaking population, etc..
So both Putin and Trump are really more concerned in how they are written up in the history books? They both want to be seen as the saviors of their nations? No matter what it takes or how much damage may be done along the way.

Offline roamer_1

General agreement there, Trump handled Putin about as well as it could be handled.

My trillion dollar question is why do the Rats want to keep poking the Bear?

That's it right there! There's grist in that mill. Something happened. If we knew what that was, things would be more clear. Obviously Ukraine is the prize, and in that, also the fulcrum.

Something is there. Just can't see what.

Offline corbe

Demonrats have always started WARS, see LBJ and Bell Helicopter.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Eisenhower warned US about this~MIC.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.