Author Topic: Texas GOP to Vote on Censuring House Speaker Dade Phelan  (Read 2389 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas GOP to Vote on Censuring House Speaker Dade Phelan
« on: February 10, 2024, 01:32:54 pm »
Texas Scorecard by  Sydnie Henry February 9, 2024

The State Republican Executive Committee will vote Saturday on the censure of Phelan.

Just weeks ahead of the primary election, members of the State Republican Executive Committee will be voting Saturday on a resolution censuring Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan of Beaumont.

The censure first originated in Phelan’s house district county of Orange. It cites his practice of appointing Democrats to key committee chairmanship positions, killing border security legislation in the regular legislative session, and working against school choice in the regular session.

County Republican parties in Ellis and Liberty also censured Phelan. Meanwhile, the county GOP organizations in Tarrant, Harris, Travis, Smith, Parker, and Dallas passed resolutions supporting the original Orange County GOP resolution.

Phelan faces two challengers in the March 5 Republican Primary—Trump-endorsed David Covey and local businesswoman Alicia Davis.

Early voting begins February 20, and Election Day is March 5.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/texas-gop-to-vote-on-censuring-house-speaker-dade-phelan/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Texas GOP to Vote on Censuring House Speaker Dade Phelan
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 02:36:01 pm »
If we don't get rid of Phelan this year I'm done with politics forever!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 12:11:21 pm »
Republican Party of Texas Censures Speaker Dade Phelan

https://texasgop.org/phelan-censure/

The Republican Party of Texas officially censured Representative Dade Phelan today, imposing the full set of penalties allowed by the rules, for lack of fidelity to Republican principles and priorities. Rule 44 of the Republican Party of Texas allows the party to censure elected officials who violate Republican Party of Texas principles and priorities three times or more in a given biennium. The censure of Rep. Phelan details five such instances on issues such as the impeachment of Ken Paxton, Democrat Committee Chairs, border security, and educational freedom. 

The original censure resolution was passed by the Jasper County Republican Party with at least 2/3rds support and required a three-fifths vote (39) to pass the 64-member State Republican Executive Committee. The final vote was 55 in favor, 4 opposed, and 4 abstentions.

Those opposed are: Donnie Wisenbaker SD1, Fernando Trevino SD 14, Morgan Graham SD 27, and Lynda Hogue SD 28.

Those who abstained are: Jim Pikl SD 8, Anne Gebhart SD 9, Dan Tully SD 9, and Steve Evans SD 28.

Representative Phelan is the fourth elected official in the history of the Republican Party of Texas to be censured utilizing the Rule 44 censure option.

The full resolution is here

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 12:59:33 pm »
There are now at least 3 ads an hour on local TV and streaming services around this Covey V. Phelan race.

It's crazy.  And for some reason Covey hasn't even posted the Phelan dead driunk on the floor of the House clips yet.

Looking forward to seeing that smug son of a bitch taken down.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:12:58 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 02:11:55 pm »
Republican Party of Texas Censures Speaker Dade Phelan

https://texasgop.org/phelan-censure/

Jasper County is initiating?  This insurrection is coming from within his own district party's leadership. :silly:

So, one of the iditoic planks Phelan is using is his that his district is losing speaker status.  Hey Dade...  How many censured reps get re-elected Speaker?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:14:22 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 02:48:13 pm »
Jasper County is initiating?  This insurrection is coming from within his own district party's leadership. :silly:

So, one of the iditoic planks Phelan is using is his that his district is losing speaker status.  Hey Dade...  How many censured reps get re-elected Speaker?

And what good does a Republican Speaker who is in bed with Democrats do for the district? I'll throw a party if he goes down and I don't even live there.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 03:19:17 pm »

https://twitter.com/MQSullivan/status/1756386213710168500

Local TV isn't even covering this news item.  Guess they are too smitten with Phelan ads ($).

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 10:01:19 pm »
And what good does a Republican Speaker who is in bed with Democrats do for the district? I'll throw a party if he goes down and I don't even live there.

I can't say that I can go back too far in memory of Speakers, but Strauss was pretty much the same as Phelan wasn't he? How do we get a decent speaker?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 11:13:50 pm »

I can't say that I can go back too far in memory of Speakers, but Strauss was pretty much the same as Phelan wasn't he? How do we get a decent speaker?

We stop election RINOs to the Texas house! We have had three in a row (Joe Straus, Dennis Bonnen, and Dade Phelan) who were elected by every Democrat and a handful of "Republicans". IMHO the root of the problem here is open primaries which allow democrats to cross over and vote for fake republicans. That needs to stop! @berdie

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 11:26:59 pm »
We stop election RINOs to the Texas house! We have had three in a row (Joe Straus, Dennis Bonnen, and Dade Phelan) who were elected by every Democrat and a handful of "Republicans". IMHO the root of the problem here is open primaries which allow democrats to cross over and vote for fake republicans. That needs to stop! @berdie

I agree. We need closed primaries. But even then can't people register to be RFTD (Repubs For The Day)? Can't people still go back and vote their true affiliation in the General?  I truly don't know how that would work since I've voted here all my life. @Bigun

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 11:38:18 pm »
IMHO the root of the problem here is open primaries which allow democrats to cross over and vote for fake republicans. That needs to stop! @berdie

Don't forget the old Election Two-Step, where Republicans say all the right Conservative things while running for election, and then vote with the Democrats once they are safely in office.
Let it burn.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 11:41:13 pm »

I agree. We need closed primaries. But even then can't people register to be RFTD (Repubs For The Day)? Can't people still go back and vote their true affiliation in the General?  I truly don't know how that would work since I've voted here all my life. @Bigun

I don't suppose there is a perfect system @berdie but the ideas I favor would require you to record your party affiliation when you register and make a trip to the county registrar's office if you decide to change it. As things stand now, anyone can be RFTD. The only thing they can't do is vote in both primaries in the same year.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:41:47 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 11:43:01 pm »
Don't forget the old Election Two-Step, where Republicans say all the right Conservative things while running for election, and then vote with the Democrats once they are safely in office.

And often the candidates with the most $$$ who can run the most and slickest ads!

We are currently facing just such a situation in my own district.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:44:47 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2024, 01:32:41 pm »
And often the candidates with the most $$$ who can run the most and slickest ads!

We are currently facing just such a situation in my own district.

Phelan in just the last few days has (finally panicking) been running attack ads toward Covey.

The rubes here somehow think that this  censured legislator can somehow be re-elected Speaker.  Phelan is a dog shit liar, by the keeping and pushing the false narrative that SE Texas loses clout if they dump him. 

If somehow he does get elected, he'll be lucky to land a Bovine Excrement Collection committee membership, much less getting within 50 feet of the Speaker's Gavel.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 01:33:41 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2024, 03:42:35 pm »
Phelan in just the last few days has (finally panicking) been running attack ads toward Covey.

The rubes here somehow think that this  censured legislator can somehow be re-elected Speaker.  Phelan is a dog shit liar, by the keeping and pushing the false narrative that SE Texas loses clout if they dump him. 

If somehow he does get elected, he'll be lucky to land a Bovine Excrement Collection committee membership, much less getting within 50 feet of the Speaker's Gavel.

I hope you are right @catfish1957 but I'm not betting one $ on it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 06:30:49 am »
What a couple of local races. In the past week as the likes of Trump, Abbott, Paxton,  Rick Perry, and Dan Patrick have all weighed in on endorsements,

Sadly, nothing yet of Phelan's drunk stupor on the podium as an ad. 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 09:40:00 am »
What a couple of local races. In the past week as the likes of Trump, Abbott, Paxton,  Rick Perry, and Dan Patrick have all weighed in on endorsements,

Sadly, nothing yet of Phelan's drunk stupor on the podium as an ad.

I have given as much time and treasure to the Republican Party of Texas as any man alive but if Dade Phelan is returned to the Texas house this year, I'm done with it for the rest of my life.

And BTW: no current member of the Texas supreme deserves to be reelected either as they all voted to stop Ken Paxton from prosecuting election crimes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 09:51:49 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 12:53:52 pm »
I have given as much time and treasure to the Republican Party of Texas as any man alive but if Dade Phelan is returned to the Texas house this year, I'm done with it for the rest of my life.

And BTW: no current member of the Texas supreme deserves to be reelected either as they all voted to stop Ken Paxton from prosecuting election crimes.

Here is the tally so far....

Trump...pro Covey, and two other proximal challengers
Abbott- Not weighed in on Phelan, but supporting challengers in two other close districts.  This at least lends me to believe that secretly or quietly thta  he is anti-Phelan
Rick Perry- Pro Phelan
Paxton- Anti Phelan, (shocker /s)
Patrick- Anti-Phelan

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 02:19:22 pm »
Here is the tally so far....

Trump...pro Covey, and two other proximal challengers
Abbott- Not weighed in on Phelan, but supporting challengers in two other close districts.  This at least lends me to believe that secretly or quietly thta  he is anti-Phelan
Rick Perry- Pro Phelan
Paxton- Anti Phelan, (shocker /s)
Patrick- Anti-Phelan

Karl Rove and the Bush clan still leading leading Rick Perry off the cliff. **nononono*

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2024, 05:40:20 pm »

https://twitter.com/JaredLPatterson/status/1758290075568218481

"Most conservative speaker in Texas history"... wow, it really takes a politician to tell such bold-faced lies. No one else would have that little shame.

I don't know who Jared Patterson is, but I know he's another one who needs to be thrown out of office.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 05:43:11 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2024, 05:45:09 pm »
"Most conservative speaker in Texas history"... wow, it really takes a politician to tell such bold-faced lies. No one else would have that little shame.

I don't know who Jared Patterson is, but I know he's another one who needs to be thrown out of office.

:yowsa: :amen:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2024, 05:56:57 pm »

https://twitter.com/JaredLPatterson/status/1758290075568218481

This was lead story on all of our local news casts last night.  Phelan is stroking fear locally that SE Texas will lose clout if he loses.  And that is a bald faced lie.

The truth  is that he was locally censured, and the odds of him being re-elected Speaker is pretty damned low.  IMO

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 05:59:42 pm »
This was lead story on all of our local news casts last night.  Phelan is stroking fear locally that SE Texas will lose clout if he loses.  And that is a bald faced lie.

The truth  is that he was locally censured, and the odds of him being re-elected Speaker is pretty damned low.  IMO

I hope and pray that you are exactly right and that he takes ALL of his lieutenants with him into retirement.

- J. R. R. Tolkien