Author Topic: Is AM radio obsolete?  (Read 594 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Is AM radio obsolete?
« on: February 09, 2024, 08:38:28 pm »
February 9, 2024
Is AM radio obsolete?
By Greg Maresca

Every sequence of time has its golden epoch. For radio, more specifically on the AM side of the dial, its half-century run from its advent at KDKA in Pittsburgh in the 1920s to the late 1970s. AM was king -- the internet of its era.

My AM salad days included legendary DJs Cousin Brucie on WABC and Wolfman Jack on WNBC, both homegrown Brooklynites. However, it wasn’t until I heard the crackle of traffic and weather together on the eights with Lou Timolat of WCBS, that I was introduced to the true power of amplitude modulation. It happened on the evening of our move to Pennsylvania from New York. Dad may have physically moved but he was still tethered to the city in many ways and continuing to tune in WCBS news on the dial during dinner was one of them.

Fast forward to the 21st Century and some car companies have made it a point to stop installing AM radios in new models. Is AM radio destined to go the way of eight-tracks, cassettes, CD players, ashtrays, and cigarette lighters?

Not if Congress has its way.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/02/is_am_radio_obsolete.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Is AM radio obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 11:17:17 pm »
I don't see why  there wouldn't be a place for AM stations. Lots of America is still rural enough that they don't attract all the trendy stuff,and they listen to the radio for weather reports (VERY important for farmers,fishermen,and some others),local event announcements,and all sorts  of other "local information" that is important to them,if to no one else.

I will grant you that today it is likely there is no one in America out of broadcast range of the "mega stations"but not everybody listens to what is the "trendy music of the moment",and those that do crave the modern stuff  still have access to  it.

And none  of this is even approaching the "National Alert system" (can't remember the actual name) that was on every AM radio ever made that would alert people to things like missile attacks,tornadoes,etc,etc,etc.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 11:19:53 pm »
You mean for English speaking listeners? Then the answer is all but, and there are no measures that will save the remaining few news/talk stations that haven't been bought up by Hispanic or Asians.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 11:22:05 pm »
Not terribly knowledgeable on radio, but if they want to relax the standards, de-commercialize it and make it the realm of ham operators, I wouldn't necessarily be against that, devil being in the details and all.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 11:28:52 pm »
"National Alert system"

CONELRAD (Control of Electromagnetic Radiation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:37:28 pm »
You mean for English speaking listeners? Then the answer is all but, and there are no measures that will save the remaining few news/talk stations that haven't been bought up by Hispanic or Asians.

@GtHawk

Really?

I wasn't aware of that.

The only time I listen to a radio is when I am driving,and then  I am listening to pre-1980's music. Mostly  to keep from falling asleep.

Not really much to do when you are driving a modern car. Hell,mine even steers itself and hits the brake automatically if it things I am getting too close to a vehicle ahead of me.

Reliable as a rock,comfortable to ride in and drive,and gets crazy good gas mileage,but it IS boring.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline berdie

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 11:45:31 pm »
Since I retired I don't listen much to the radio anymore.

But during those damnable times that I have to drive to Dallas I rely on AM radio for traffic/weather reports. FM doesn't really cover that.

And if there is a weather event...AM covers it.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 12:04:28 am »
I used to listen to AM radio a lot when Limbaugh was alive

I also used to listen to Air America when it was on our local AM station

Lately, I don’t listen to AM that much
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 12:05:13 am »
Is AM radio obsolete?

The answer is a resounding no! At least for the part of Texas in which I reside.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 12:05:54 am »
Not just no, hell no. It's not obsolete.

It doesn't have the full-time service reach or sound quality of FM or streaming, but AM has one major benefit that FM doesn't: range.

50,000 watts at night on an AM station in the standard band will get you covering almost half of the country. A little higher frequencies than that, you can ride the skywave just about around the world. 50,000 on FM? Might get you the most important suburbs in your metro area.

And in the daytime, you use those frequencies for local service.

The stations I listen to on a regular basis are, for the most part, AM and shortwave. AM 650 WSM is my nighttime country station, when I want to hear the Opry; during the day, that falls on a little family-run AM station, AM 1300 WXRL. For the oldies, my go-to is shortwave station 5050 WRMI; if I don't have my shortwave, I can go to AM 740 CFZM out of Toronto, which is in range day or night. For standards, it's another local station, AM 1340 WKSN. That's not to mention scanning the band looking for live sports.

Is it all wine and roses? No. It's been a few years since my old go-to, AM 1590 WGGO, has played music. Now it's in the hands of a Catholic broadcaster. Another local station, AM 1330 WSPQ, went out of business a few years ago.

Someday I hope to own an AM station. With streaming as a supplement, I truly think it's still viable, and with AM licenses coming down in value to the point where it could very well be within reach soon enough... a guy can dream.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 12:10:51 am »
Not terribly knowledgeable on radio, but if they want to relax the standards, de-commercialize it and make it the realm of ham operators, I wouldn't necessarily be against that, devil being in the details and all.

Amateur radio Operators (HAMS) (I've been one for a very long time) have always used A(mplitude) M(odulation), but are prohibited from using ANY mode for a commercial purpose by the FCC.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien