Author Topic: Former Maryland Gov Larry Hogan announces Republican run for Senate  (Read 1321 times)

Offline cato potatoe

Former Maryland Gov Larry Hogan announces Republican run for Senate

by Greg Norman , Paul Steinhauser Fox News

Former Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Friday announced he is running for the U.S. Senate.

"I am running for the United States Senate -- not to serve one party -- but to stand up to both parties, fight for Maryland, and fix our nation's broken politics," the Republican said in a post on X. "It’s what I did as Maryland’s governor, and it’s exactly how I'll serve Maryland in the Senate. Let’s get back to work."

Hogan, a vocal GOP critic of former President Donald Trump who won election and re-election as governor in heavily blue Maryland, will be running for the seat opened up by the retiring three-term Sen. Ben Cardin, a Democrat, who before his election to the Senate in 2006 was a longtime congressman and state lawmaker. The state hasn't elected a Republican senator in decades and more than a dozen Democrats - including Rep. David Trone and Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks -are running to succeed Cardin.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/former-maryland-gov-larry-hogan-announces-republican-run-senate

Offline cato potatoe

Re: Former Maryland Gov Larry Hogan announces Republican run for Senate
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 07:06:52 pm »
This allows for a slight chance to flip a perma-blue open seat. 

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 07:58:49 pm »
This allows for a slight chance to flip a perma-blue open seat.

Yeah, if Hogan wins then he'll make it a shade purple, at best, since he's Democrat-lite.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 09:28:56 pm »
Maryland Republican Larry Hogan Announces Senate Bid in Blow to Democrats

Nick Gilbertson 9 Feb 2024

Former Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD) announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate in Maryland on Friday, hours before the state’s filing deadline, in a blow to Democrats.

The surprise candidacy from the moderate Hogan in blue Maryland, first reported by Politico, further complicates the contours of the 2024 election battlefield for Democrats, who have a razor-thin Senate majority and are on defense in far more states than Republicans. Now, should Hogan win his party’s nomination, they will also have to defend an open seat against a popular GOP candidate with strong name identification in a state where Democrats have won every U.S. Senate election since 1986,

In his announcement video, Hogan states that “Washington is broken” and “willingness to put country over party has become far too rare” while referencing his father, late Rep. Larry Hogan Sr. (R-MD) and his votes to impeach late President Richard Nixon:

https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1755998920981799338

more
https://www.breitbart.com/2024-election/2024/02/09/maryland-republican-larry-hogan-announces-senate-bid-blow-democrats/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 10:09:30 pm »
Oh I'm sure he will not meet our approval, but there is no majority without some moderates. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 11:39:20 pm »
Hell no.

If you think Romney or Murkowski are RINOs... Lockdown Larry would be pure Democrat.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 11:44:13 pm »
Hogan was one of the worst governors in America with his COVID lockdowns.

Maryland governor tightens restrictions a second time as coronavirus infections continue to soar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-restrictions-maryland-virginia/2020/11/17/7fb4555e-28d0-11eb-92b7-6ef17b3fe3b4_story.html

Maryland tightened pandemic-related restrictions Tuesday for the second time this month as coronavirus cases across the greater Washington region have set new highs each day for two weeks.

Gov. Larry Hogan (R) issued an executive order that clamps down on the hours that restaurants and bars can operate and the number of people allowed in retail stores and at religious facilities. Local officials have strengthened policies several times in recent days, looking for ways to slow a virus spreading at record rates in the Washington area and across the country.

The new order, which goes into effect at 5 p.m. Friday, requires bars and restaurants in Maryland to close at 10 p.m. for indoor service and reduces capacity allowed in retail stores, religious facilities, fitness centers, personal service facilities and bowling alleys to 50 percent.

Hogan’s action also rescinds an earlier order that allowed fans at racetracks and at college and professional football stadiums.

“We are in a war right now and the virus is winning,” he said.

Maryland’s Department of Health issued an emergency order Tuesday aimed at addressing a possible surge in hospitalizations and preventing outbreaks at nursing homes.

The order prohibits most hospital visitations and limits indoor visits at nursing homes, making exceptions for end-of-life care, obstetrics, parents or guardians of children and support for people with disabilities.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 11:44:47 pm »
the moderate Hogan in blue Maryland
As I recall, there's not much difference between "moderate" Larry and the rest of the the blueness.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 11:57:28 pm »
As I recall he was good on some things.  RINO in many ways, but he was OK.

Better to have an "R" than a "D" - Trone will probably win, as he has been pimping himself heavily on all TV channels for months on end.  Latest is how "Hakeem Jeffries approves of me".

Actually his ads are emblamatic of the disconnect common with Dems.  He shows all this wonderful smiling, glad-handing, all over with everyone everywhere, yet the narrative over it is how terrible we all are as a nation.  Again, our country is so bad - but I'm smiling brightly!  (Indeed, Trump's Mussolini frown should be the standard for Dems since they're always unhappy with our evil capitalist society.)
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 03:19:37 am »
As I recall, there's not much difference between "moderate" Larry and the rest of the the blueness.

Okay but what is the alternative?  Dems in charge of the senate?  The gubernatorial candidate Trump endorsed in 2022 was doubled up by the democrat.  Same deal in Massachusetts.  These northeastern states are not going to vote for a MAGA or traditional conservative, not now and not ever.  They might be persuaded to give us half a loaf. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 03:24:50 am by cato potatoe »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 01:53:32 pm »
Okay but what is the alternative?  Dems in charge of the senate? 
When it comes to electing U.S. Senators in my state, as in Maryland, it's always this way: a mushy Democrat or a mushy RINO. I didn't say Maryland shouldn't settle for their half a loaf, just observed that Hogan is not a very staunch conservative.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 02:10:35 pm »
Okay but what is the alternative?  Dems in charge of the senate?  The gubernatorial candidate Trump endorsed in 2022 was doubled up by the democrat.  Same deal in Massachusetts.  These northeastern states are not going to vote for a MAGA or traditional conservative, not now and not ever.  They might be persuaded to give us half a loaf.
That's how we ended up with Donald Trump as president and perpetual Republican nominee.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2024, 03:51:14 pm »
When it comes to electing U.S. Senators in my state, as in Maryland, it's always this way: a mushy Democrat or a mushy RINO. I didn't say Maryland shouldn't settle for their half a loaf, just observed that Hogan is not a very staunch conservative.

So do you think that a Conservative is going to win in Maryland?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline the OlLine Rebel

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 01:01:04 am »

It's actually a shame Trump endorsed Cox, and that Cox was happy about it (he could've acted non-chalant about wanting any endorsements).

Cox was not a bad person to have running - but I think too associated with Trump.  We've had Republicans win and we've had serious Repubs almost win.  But Trump is "box-office poison", I think.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 01:07:38 am »
I'll take Hogan over Cardin any day of the week.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2024, 06:19:51 pm »
Hogan has a shot.

He'll be running in the RINO lane, but RINO's do well in the Northeast.

Hogan has already proven he can win statewide.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 07:00:41 pm »
more than a dozen Democrats - including Rep. David Trone and Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks -are running to succeed Cardin.
Yikes. Maybe Hogan does have a chance. If he wins, I just hope he votes conservative more often than my own RINO senator. Hope springs eternal.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 07:54:38 pm »
The GOP is probably going to lose the House, and the White House will probably remain in Democrat hands

The best shot is the Senate
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy