Author Topic: Virginia lawmakers seek to end tax break for Confederate heritage group  (Read 3646 times)

Online mountaineer

Virginia lawmakers seek to end tax break for Confederate heritage group
Washington Post via MSN
Feb. 7, 2024
Gregory S. Schneider
RICHMOND — The Virginia Senate voted Tuesday to tear down another Confederate memorial — but instead of a bronze figure on a pedestal, this one consists of words tucked into state law.

With two Republicans joining all 21 Democrats, senators agreed to dismantle a pair of obscure tax breaks for the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the organization that sponsored most of the Confederate statues that dotted Virginia’s landscape until localities began removing them over the past several years.  ...

A measure to end the UDC’s exemptions passed the House of Delegates last week, but the Senate version was broadened to strike two other Confederate-related organizations from the list of Virginia groups exempted from real estate and property taxes. The two bills will have to be reconciled — and then go to Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R), where they face uncertain prospects of being signed into law.  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Virginia lawmakers seek to end tax break for Confederate heritage group
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:32:52 pm »
VA Senate trying to remove tax exempt status from Lee + Jackson, foundations, also UDC (big museum funders). It would bankrupt all three and force the closure of Stonewall Jackson's home and Lee's childhood mansion, plus Confederate veteran museums across the commonwealth.

The VA Senate passed this with all Dems and 3 R's supporting. Say goodbye to Stratford Hall, the Jackson family home, and other historic homes.

https://twitter.com/jackmat100/status/1755306341776675318

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 01:38:28 pm »
The VA Senate passed this with all Dems and 3 R's supporting. Say goodbye to Stratford Hall, the Jackson family home, and other historic homes.
-------------------------------------------------------

The Nikki Haley wing of the GOP.  I've gotten immune to this shit, and hope the reverse retribution is 10X.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 02:47:15 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 02:38:30 pm »
Without a benefactor, the maintenance of a historic building is cost prohibitive before accounting for real estate taxes.  What is the purpose of this bill, if not to destroy these properties?

This attitude is an indictment of American culture in general.  Anything of historic nature we tear down and pave over.  Just look at Fifth Avenue in Manhattan -- once lined with magnificent gilded age mansions, crafted by the most talented architects in the world.  Now it's nothing but hideous apartment buildings.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 02:45:51 pm »
Without a benefactor, the maintenance of a historic building is cost prohibitive before accounting for real estate taxes.  What is the purpose of this bill, if not to destroy these properties? 

I've been watching this for a couple of decades around issues and attacks  against southern heritage   Like everything else, if you can kill or de-incentivize the ecomomic angle, you can kill the entity. Classic Left Wing Tactic.   Add the fact that most of the young have been brainwashed on this matter?  it is just a matter of time. 

And worse, and I was very vocal about the matter.....   During BLM and Antifa's Statuepalooza of 2020, organizations like UDC, SCV, and others cowered in fear, and did not  lift a finger to fight back.  When those in charge of protecting the heritage are this chicken shit and cowardly?  Even I have to throw my hands up and give up.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 03:01:05 pm »
If a legislature (state or federal) will deny tax-exempt status to an historical group simply because they believe the group somehow endorses actions taken 170 or so years ago, what's to stop them from revoking tax-exempt status of any non-profit for any ideological excuse, including organizations with a religious focus?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:51 pm »
I've been watching this for a couple of decades around issues and attacks  against southern heritage   Like everything else, if you can kill or de-incentivize the ecomomic angle, you can kill the entity. Classic Left Wing Tactic.   Add the fact that most of the young have been brainwashed on this matter?  it is just a matter of time. 

And worse, and I was very vocal about the matter.....   During BLM and Antifa's Statuepalooza of 2020, organizations like UDC, SCV, and others cowered in fear, and did not  lift a finger to fight back.  When those in charge of protecting the heritage are this chicken shit and cowardly?  Even I have to throw my hands up and give up.

The erasure of American history is a regressive and wicked act.  If these people had any knowledge or appreciation of world history, they would understand why.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 03:12:12 pm »
Strikes me as unconstitutional since those groups are all 501 c3 historic preservation organizations.  Youngkin will veto it anyway.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 03:28:46 pm »
Strikes me as unconstitutional since those groups are all 501 c3 historic preservation organizations.  Youngkin will veto it anyway.

I had the same outlook, say about 2000.  Never underestimate the left's ability to change the rules to match the needed result.

Lot's of SCV and UDC paid and sanctioned artifacts have been sent for scrap that I thought had adequate protection.  You'd be shocked how many of our enemies think it is a hobby to deface confederate veteran grave stones.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 03:30:21 pm by catfish1957 »