Author Topic: Forced to buy Chinese against my will  (Read 7968 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Forced to buy Chinese against my will
« on: February 08, 2024, 03:35:48 am »
Just spend a couple of hours (literally) trying to buy  a new coffee pot on Amazon that had features like "auto shut" off for less than $100 and was NOT made in China.

It can't  be done.

I would carefully read all the details on a coffee pot that had the auto turn-off feature that I now  deem to be essential due to my memory being friend,and  regardless of the company  that designed and is selling the item under their American brand name,the damn thing was manufactured in China.

Ended up spending around 40 bucks on an American name-brand percolator that was made in China because it was either do that,or  do without.

My old perculator that IIRC,I paid something like 18 bucks for several years ago still works fine,but my short-term memory does NOT work fine,and the one I am using now will NOT turn itself off. Due to massive doses of chemo and radiation,the time  has  come to buy  a coffee pot that turns itself off after perking.

As Pogo once noted a couple of decades ago,"We haz met de enemy,and he iz us!"

I am NOT happy about being my own  enemy.

BUT.......,the US Gooberment doesn't care,Black and Decker doesn't care,and neither does anyone else in that "food chain" because all they care about is competing in a world ruled by Global bankers/Banking families.

It wasn't always like this. If you are in your 70's now like me,you grew up in a nation that was in charge of it's own finances and economy. American jobs,American workers,and the government all pulled together to keep "made in the USA" something to brag about,in addition to being something that would insure the freedoms and securities of the upcoming generations.

That is no longer  true. Not only America,but it seems like every western nation in the world has  now been pimped out by the international bankers.

I just wish I had even one suggestion to make that would reverse this,but it just ain't as simple as it used to be.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DB

Re: Forced to buy Chinese against my will
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 03:43:21 am »
On Amazon search for "coffee makers made in usa".

If they're not lying there's quite a few of them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 03:59:15 am »
On Amazon search for "coffee makers made in usa".

If they're not lying there's quite a few of them.

@DB

Used those key words and thought I was getting somewhere when they worked and the name GE popped up for the first time. Then I clicked on that link and  scrolled down to  the bottom,where it read "Made in China".

Just like the Black and Decker that I had already ordered.

And here I was ready to cancer the order I had already put in and  order this.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 01:21:21 pm »
It is hard to find any consumer good not made in China. They have slave labor, we have labor unions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online LMAO

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 01:26:55 pm »
It is hard to find any consumer good not made in China. They have slave labor, we have labor unions.

And people will always look to save money. Nobody goes shopping saying to themselves, “I want to preserve American jobs.” No, they look for bargains and how to save money. We look out for our individual self interests first. That’s not a criticism. It’s just our wiring

Looking over my vast collection of fishing rods, I have equipment that’s been made overseas and some that’s been made right here in the good old USA. And the American ones are expensive

Now if you’re somebody who doesn’t make a lot of money, you’re always gonna find the cheaper stuff. And many times there’s no difference in the quality.

And Trump attempted as president to try to fix it by placing tariffs, and that doesn’t work because that’s just sparked a trade war and end up costing consumers more anyways

So what do we do? Do you think Americans will be OK with relaxing  environmental and labor protection laws? The answer is probably no.

So the two choices are, you either buy from overseas and save money. Or you go without the product you want
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 01:32:49 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 02:07:43 pm »
BUNN Speed Brew Classic

This coffee machine has a water reservoir that keeps the water hot all of the time. The brew basket is large so that you can brew up to 10 cups of coffee at once. Most Bunn coffee makers are assembled in the USA. Those that are are clearly labeled on their website.

:shrug:

Incidentally I agree with you. First thing to do is to liberate the us military from Chinese dependency. My problem with tariffs though is that they’re inflationary, which would kill the American consumer right now.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 02:36:27 pm »
And Trump attempted as president to try to fix it by placing tariffs, and that doesn’t work because that’s just sparked a trade war and end up costing consumers more anyways
HANCOCK COUNTY, W.Va. — The International Trade Commission has ruled against imposing tariffs on foreign tin imports from Canada, China, Germany and South Korea.

The ITC has concluded there is no evidence of unfair pricing practices, otherwise known as dumping, in the final phase of its investigations into Canada, China and Germany.

The commission also ruled to end the investigation into dumping for tin mill products from South Korea.

The ITC ruled 4-0 against placing tariffs on the imported tin. This could have a direct impact on the Cleveland Cliffs plant in Weirton as the ruling will put the plant at a disadvantage for competing with other producers and jeopardizes local jobs. ... WTOV9, Steubenville, OH
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 11:08:41 pm »
And people will always look to save money. Nobody goes shopping saying to themselves, "I want to preserve American jobs.”

@LMAO

I do. Spent around 3 hours yesterday trying to find a quality percolator for under 100 bucks,and failed.

Yeah,maybe I just didn't try hard enough,but I am weak,and there IS  a limit to how much time (never mind the money) I am willing to spend on something THAT basic.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 11:12:27 pm »
BUNN Speed Brew Classic

This coffee machine has a water reservoir that keeps the water hot all of the time. The brew basket is large so that you can brew up to 10 cups of coffee at once. Most Bunn coffee makers are assembled in the USA. Those that are are clearly labeled on their website.

:shrug:

Incidentally I agree with you. First thing to do is to liberate the us military from Chinese dependency. My problem with tariffs though is that they’re inflationary, which would kill the American consumer right now.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure
BX Speed Brew Classic 10-Cup Coffee Brewer, Black
4.6 out of 5 stars

$119.00

Maybe I am cheap,or just out of touch,but 100+ bucks for a freaking coffee peculator to make one pot of coffee a day seems outrageous.

After all,it ain't like there is anything new about them.

Online DB

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 11:20:18 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure
BX Speed Brew Classic 10-Cup Coffee Brewer, Black
4.6 out of 5 stars

$119.00

Maybe I am cheap,or just out of touch,but 100+ bucks for a freaking coffee peculator to make one pot of coffee a day seems outrageous.

After all,it ain't like there is anything new about them.

There it is in a nutshell... The Chinese products are typically a fraction of the cost of something made here. Labor costs, taxes, energy and endless regulation are expensive here.

Online LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2024, 11:27:15 pm »
There it is in a nutshell... The Chinese products are typically a fraction of the cost of something made here. Labor costs, taxes, energy and endless regulation are expensive here.

And, rightly or wrongly, all that gets passed on to the consumer
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 11:41:19 pm »
SneakyPete -

It's not a good idea to leave any coffeemaker plugged in all the time.
I've been told that they're a leading cause of kitchen fires.

When I make my coffee in the morning and afternoon, when it's time to pour it into the cup, I flip the coffemaker's power switch to off AND reach and unplug it from the wall outlet.

If I need the coffee "hotter" (which I do because of the cream and cold cup), I just put it into the microwave (power setting 80%) for about 90 seconds. Comes out great.

And re the quality of Chinese goods:
A lot of cheaply-made stuff, yes, but there are some decent things coming out of the place. A small outfit (in MN, I think) named "Northfield" puts out some very good mandolins by gathering the wood here (USA), then sending it to a small shop of about 5-6 guys in China who do the carving and assembly and finishing. One of the better brands out there today.
An example:
https://themandolinstore.com/product/northfield-f5-big-mon-engelman/?doing_wp_cron=1707435616.3551740646362304687500

Online DB

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 11:45:34 pm »
SneakyPete -

When I make my coffee in the morning and afternoon, when it's time to pour it into the cup, I flip the coffemaker's power switch to off AND reach and unplug it from the wall outlet.

If I need the coffee "hotter" (which I do because of the cream and cold cup), I just put it into the microwave (power setting 80%) for about 90 seconds. Comes out great.

A lot of cheaply-made stuff, yes, but there are some decent things coming out of the place. A small outfit (in MN, I think) named "Northfield" puts out some very good mandolins by gathering the wood here (USA), then sending it to a small shop of about 5-6 guys in China who do the carving and assembly and finishing. One of the better brands out there today.
An example:
https://themandolinstore.com/product/northfield-f5-big-mon-engelman/?doing_wp_cron=1707435616.3551740646362304687500

It is probably more likely you'll start a fire from plugging in and pulling out the plug everyday. Wear and tear on the plug and socket and the constant flexing of the power cord that isn't made for that much movement.

Online LMAO

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 12:01:53 am »
A small outfit (in MN, I think) named "Northfield" puts out some very good mandolins by gathering the wood here (USA), then sending it to a small shop of about 5-6 guys in China who do the carving and assembly and finishing. One of the better brands out there today.
An example:

You play?

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 01:27:05 am »
SneakyPete -

I do the same thing,and have been  using a 20 dollar coffee pot for years. Like you,I habitually unplug the pot after perking is done,but I pour the coffee into thermoses  to keep the coffee hot as long as possible,and when it gets cold in the thermoses,I just heat a cup in the microwave.

The problem is that now thanks to chemo,radiation,and possibly old age,I no longer trust my memory like I used to,and see a coffee put that turns itself off if I forget as a cheap insurance policy.

I still PLAN on turning it off after the perking is done,and doing what I have been doing all this time to keep it warm and/or warm it up.

A lot of cheaply-made stuff, yes, but there are some decent things coming out of the place.

I don't care. I want nothing from China,and would love to see a ban on importing Chinese goods. After all,didn't we have an embargo on slave labor goods not that long ago?

A small outfit (in MN, I think) named "Northfield" puts out some very good mandolins by gathering the wood here (USA), then sending it to a small shop of about 5-6 guys in China who do the carving and assembly and finishing. One of the better brands out there today.
An example:

Don't care if they are a dollar ninety-five. If it was made in China,I don't want it. Period.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2024, 02:20:17 am »
I told you this during our arguments over the tariffs and port shut-downs, @sneakypete .

Even 'Made in America' is often only 'assembled in America'. Shutting off the ports shut OFF American manufacturing and parts systems, because everything is interwoven with Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and China.

And guess what? Rightly so... Capitalism is merit based, and the East is flat kicking our ass. Because they do it better, faster, and cheaper than here.

I would LOVE to buy exclusively American Made... but only if it is better or cheaper than I can get it elsewhere. I am not going to save American jobs if they don't deserve the business.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2024, 02:24:37 am »
I told you this during our arguments over the tariffs and port shut-downs, @sneakypete .

Even 'Made in America' is often only 'assembled in America'. Shutting off the ports shut OFF American manufacturing and parts systems, because everything is interwoven with Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and China.

And guess what? Rightly so... Capitalism is merit based, and the East is flat kicking our ass. Because they do it better, faster, and cheaper than here.

I would LOVE to buy exclusively American Made... but only if it is better or cheaper than I can get it elsewhere. I am not going to save American jobs if they don't deserve the business.

Years ago I tried diligently to only buy made in America products.  It was impossible; yes you are correct, perhaps packaged in the USA but manufactured elsewhere.  Sad.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2024, 02:27:40 am »
Years ago I tried diligently to only buy made in America products.  It was impossible; yes you are correct, perhaps packaged in the USA but manufactured elsewhere.  Sad.

I don't care about American made. I care about quality. It used to be that the two were synonymous. The best stuff in the world always had an American origin. No more. And without that quality, I don't care.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 03:06:50 am »
I just want products that are not made in China.  They don't have to be American made.  Just not China.

I have spent hours on the 'nets going through the fine print looking for items that are not made in China.  For many products, it is impossible.  I looked for a simple electric tea kettle with varied temperature settings.  Couldn't find one.  There was only one tea kettle made somewhere other than China (Japan, I think).  It was around $80, and didn't have varied temp settings.

I don't mind paying extra for non-China products.  If the kettle above had done what I wanted, I would have bought it.  But it didn't.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2024, 03:12:31 am »
@sneakypete

This is my coffee maker.  Made in Germany.  One of the best things I ever owned.  Stainless steel.  It will never break.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2024, 09:12:17 am »
Trump had American companies moving back to America, that had moved to China.  Biden reversed that to far more American companies moving to China.  As more and more companies move to China, and less and less Companies in America, thank you Joe and his fools, China will raise the prices they charge for their goods.  Damn fools control the future of America, WOKE, and thus our future looks more and more dim every day.  It ain't cheap saving America from make America Great Again, but the fools that moved us to that dim direction seem to be happy enough about it.  About time for some of them to speak out here and brag about their success!
 :dumpster:  :reaper::dumpster:
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2024, 01:05:54 pm »
Trump had American companies moving back to America, that had moved to China.  Biden reversed that to far more American companies moving to China.  As more and more companies move to China, and less and less Companies in America, thank you Joe and his fools, China will raise the prices they charge for their goods.  Damn fools control the future of America, WOKE, and thus our future looks more and more dim every day.  It ain't cheap saving America from make America Great Again, but the fools that moved us to that dim direction seem to be happy enough about it.  About time for some of them to speak out here and brag about their success!
 :dumpster:  :reaper::dumpster:

@christian

They are too busy smiling as their go over their bank accounts to be bothered with smiling for the peons.

After all,they have more in common with their Chi-Com business partners than they do with peons.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2024, 04:16:21 pm »
@christian

They are too busy smiling as their go over their bank accounts to be bothered with smiling for the peons.

After all,they have more in common with their Chi-Com business partners than they do with peons.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, @sneakypete

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2024, 04:40:51 pm »
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, @sneakypete

@roamer_1

Well,ONE of us is_"full of Biden",comrade.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2024, 04:46:13 pm »
@roamer_1

Well,ONE of us is_"full of Biden",comrade.

Right. So how much business and manufacturing acumen do you possess? Because that might lead you to discover which one that is, @sneakypete