Author Topic: Supreme Court to decide whether insurrection provision keeps Trump off ballot  (Read 1341 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
SCOTUSblog by Amy Howe 2/5/2024

The Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on Thursday in what is shaping up to be the biggest election case since its ruling nearly 25 years ago in Bush v. Gore. At issue is whether former President Donald Trump, who is once again the front runner for the Republican nomination for president, can be excluded from the ballot because of his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attacks on the U.S. Capitol. 

Although the question comes to the court in a case from Colorado, the impact of the court’s ruling could be much more far-reaching. Maine’s secretary of state ruled in December that Trump should be taken off the primary ballot there, and challenges to Trump’s eligibility are currently pending in 11 other states. Trump warns that the efforts to keep him off the ballot “threaten to disenfranchise tens of millions of Americans” and “promise to unleash chaos and bedlam if other state courts and state officials follow Colorado’s lead.” But the voters challenging Trump’s eligibility counter that “we already saw the ‘bedlam’ Trump unleashed when he was on the ballot and lost.”

History behind the case

The dispute hinges on the interpretation of a relatively obscure provision of the Constitution: Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which (as relevant in this case) provides that no one “shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State,” if that person had previously sworn, “as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States” to support the U.S. Constitution but then “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the federal government.

Enacted in the wake of the Civil War, Section 3 was intended to disqualify individuals who had served in the federal (or state) government before the Civil War and had sworn to uphold the Constitution but then supported the Confederacy. The bar on service can only be overcome by a two-thirds vote of both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

More: https://www.scotusblog.com/2024/02/supreme-court-to-decide-whether-insurrection-provision-keeps-trump-off-ballot/

Online Hoodat

If Trump  “engaged in insurrection or rebellion”, then why hasn't he been charged with insurrection or rebellion?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

If Trump  “engaged in insurrection or rebellion”, then why hasn't he been charged with insurrection or rebellion?

Correct; not charged but already determined by his accusers to be guilty. So SCOTUS is going to decide for each state??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

I think the Democrats are gonna milk the insurrection issue for as long as they can
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online libertybele

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts warns of 'severe' consequences of banning Trump from ballot

In a line of questioning, Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts raised concerns about "severe" consequences of Colorado banning former President Donald Trump from the ballot.

Roberts wondered if doing so would lead to other states booting other candidates off the ballot based on political motivations.

"Counsel, what do you do with the, what seem to me to be the plain consequences of your position?" Roberts asked Jason Murray, the attorney for Colorado voters. "If Colorado's position is upheld, surely there will be disqualification proceedings on the other side, and some of those will succeed ... I would expect that a goodly number of states will say, whomever the Democratic candidate is, you're off the ballot."

Roberts expressed concern that if red states and blue states start rejecting the other side's candidate, the 2024 presidential contest could come down to "just a handful of states that are going to decide the presidential election."

"That's a pretty daunting consequence," the chief justice said.

Murray said that potential "frivolous" applications of a constitutional provision should not deter the court from ruling in Colorado's favor, but Roberts did not seem convinced. .......

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/supreme-court-hears-trump-ballot-oral-arguments

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

*The U.S. Supreme Court is hearing oral arguments on Thursday, Feb. 8, 2024 on whether former President Donald Trump can remain on Colorado's ballot.

*The case, Trump v. Anderson, centers on whether Trump engaged in an "insurrection" by inciting a crowd to storm the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, and whether that would make him constitutionally ineligible to run for president under the 14th Amendment.

*The Colorado Supreme Court already ruled that Trump is ineligible to appear on the ballot, a decision Trump's legal team slammed as "anti-democratic."

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I hope there is the one dissenting vote that I think might happen, just to further highlight her utter ineptitude.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:29:43 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

IMHO the premise of free and fair elections hinges on this decision. How could any justice ruling in line with the Constitution see things otherwise?

Again as for the insurrection, Trump hasn't been accused., and obviously not found guilty.

Online libertybele

A 9-0 decision would be nice, but I think unlikely. We'll see how the liberal justices rule on this.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A 9-0 decision would be nice, but I think unlikely. We'll see how the liberal justices rule on this.

Prof Turley seems to think there will be one...Sotomayor
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online libertybele

Prof Turley seems to think there will be one...Sotomayor

Jackson may be the other.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The US Senate screwed the pooch by not convicting Trump during the 2nd Impeachment Trial.

The US DOJ screwed the pooch by waiting way too long to start prosecutions, and by not prosecuting Trump for insurrection and RICO.

Those are probably the only two existing legal remedies for holding Trump accountable for January 6th, and disqualify him from "holding" the Office of President.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 06:25:20 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The US Senate screwed the pooch by not convicting Trump during the 2nd Impeachment Trial.

The US DOJ screwed the pooch by waiting way too long to start prosecutions, and by not prosecuting Trump for insurrection and RICO.

Those are probably the only two existing legal remedies for holding Trump accountable for January 6th, and disqualify him from "holding" the Office of President.

**nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

7-2  Roberts and the Wide LatinX
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I am one of the biggest critics of Trump at this site, but your points are crazy. 

Insurrection?  Did you miss the part of the speech where he asked them to march peaceably?

Outside of Bat shit crazy lefty loony sites, give me one plausible case where DJT could actually be prosecuted on a RICO charge?  Believe me if it was there Pedo Joe's Hit man Garland would have found it, and have it up on charges 10 seconds after they found it

I don't like Trump either, but it is for being a bad POTUS, and bad moral character rather than being a criminal. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 06:40:14 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
7-2  Roberts and the Wide LatinX

Roberts? 

If that happend, I really what to know what kind of level extortion the dims have over him. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Roberts? 

If that happend, I really what to know what kind of level extortion the dims have over him.

HE has been a bit of a disappointment.  I don't trust the dude.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
HE has been a bit of a disappointment.  I don't trust the dude.

I  am 99.9% sure he is compromised, and whispers are around his personal life.   I wish I could find the tally of all his votes, and remember that  to a "T" when it is a close or crucial vote, he leans left. 

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I  am 99.9% sure he is compromised, and whispers are around his personal life.   I wish I could find the tally of all his votes, and remember that  to a "T" when it is a close or crucial vote, he leans left.

The story on the street is that he did some illegal things in getting his two (adopted) daughters from a country Americans cannot legally adopt children from.  I have no idea if that's true, but they definitely have something on him.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

The story on the street is that he did some illegal things in getting his two (adopted) daughters from a country Americans cannot legally adopt children from.  I have no idea if that's true, but they definitely have something on him.

Ok so he IS compromised.

Online LMAO

Jackson may be the other.

That’s my guess, also
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

Outside of Bat shit crazy lefty loony sites, give me one plausible case where DJT could actually be prosecuted on a RICO charge?  Believe me if it was there Pedo Joe's Hit man Garland would have found it, and have it up on charges 10 seconds after they found it

True

It’s been over three years since Jan 6th 2021 and he has yet to even be charged for fomenting an insurrection.

Barry Goldwater

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The CO Supremes openly admitted they found him guilty of insurrection with no trial.  Do you agree Trump is guilty of "insurrection" too?  It sounds like you do here....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

He is like McStain was:  Reliable until the precise moment he is needed the most.  Then he's a Maverick.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

1.) I concede to being crazy.
2.) Trump waited 180 minutes to give a half-hearted plea for insurrectionists to go home - after Capitol Police reinforcements were already bumrushing insurrectionists out the Capitol.
3.) Trump's tweet against Pence, his Vice Presdient, encouraged insurrectionists to shout "Hang Mike Pence" and erect a gallows.
4.) If there was not an insurrection in progress, why did 435 House Members and 100 US Senators run for their lives, including Josh Hawley skipping in his loafers like a school girl?

The DOJ should have launched a RICO case against the Trump 2020 Presidential Campaign, and included a charge of Insurrection, on January 7th.

A Senate Impeachment conviction, and/or, a criminal Insurrection conviction are the only instruments for legally disqualifying Trump from state ballots for Federal Offices.

Our elected Federal Office Holders and appointed Federal Officers have failed the US Constitution.  It's up to the voting public to sustain Constitutional Federal Republic Government in the United States.

I am one of the biggest critics of Trump at this site, but your points are crazy. 

Insurrection?  Did you miss the part of the speech where he asked them to march peaceably?

I don't like Trump either, but it is for being a bad POTUS, and bad moral character rather than being a criminal.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 12:26:25 am by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.