Author Topic: Florida EV Buyers Shocked To Learn Their Cars Eat Tires  (Read 671 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Florida EV Buyers Shocked To Learn Their Cars Eat Tires
« on: February 07, 2024, 12:07:14 am »
GIZMODO By Lawrence Hodge 1/25/2024

Some EV owners in the Sunshine State are reporting having to buy tires after just 5,000 to 7,000 miles of driving.

EV buyers are often motivated by a desire to save money on gas and/or drive something more environmentally friendly. But, a recent story out of Florida in The Miami Herald details how EV owners there have been blindsided by how fast they’re having to change the tires on their EVs.

The Herald spoke with the owner of a shop that specializes in EV repair who told them just how often he’s seeing owners in for tire wear and replacement.

At EV Garage Miami, a Sweetwater repair shop that services 90 percent electric vehicles, lead technician Jonathan Sanchez said tires are the most frequent thing customers come in about, no matter what model or make of EV they’re driving. Tire mileage can vary widely of course, but he frequently changes EV tires at just 8,000 to 10,000 miles — a fourth or even fifth of typical tire wear on a gas-burning car.

Neil Semel, the owner of a Mercedes EQS, told The Herald that if he had known how often he would be buying tires, he would’ve never bought the car. “If somebody looked at me and said, Mr. Semel, you are going to love this car but in about 7,000 miles you will have to pay 1,400 or 1,500 dollars to replace the tires, I wouldn’t have bought the car,” he said.

More: https://gizmodo.com/florida-ev-buyers-shocked-to-learn-their-cars-eat-tires-1851197019

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Florida EV Buyers Shocked To Learn Their Cars Eat Tires
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 12:22:44 am »
Michelin suggests getting the Primacy tire for electric vehicles, which they say offers an up to 7% increase in range. Michelin also launched “Self seal” which would self-repair punctures and cut back on some weight by not needing to keep a spare wheel in the back.

Ridiculous.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online DB

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:43:54 am »
They're heavy. But I'd also guess the wealthier people that can afford EVs live in more secluded windier road areas that cause more wear.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 12:57:41 am »
All I know is that I get 40,000 + miles on a set of aggressively treaded AT tires for the Suburban, and that's to the point where I don't feel they have enough tread for snow in the boonies, not worn to 'maypop' status.

But if the tire life on an EV is 1/4 that or less, some emissions data needs to be adjusted.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 12:21:39 pm »
Going green and virtue signaling is expensive.  Suck it up buttercups. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 02:26:33 pm »
Doesn't matter.

They don't really drive them except for on special occasions,anyway.

They just buy them to show the can AFFORD to buy them,and occasionally drive one around when they think they might get seen and their photos taken.

The rest of the time they are in storage alongside their Ferrari's,Corvettes,Austin-Healy,and other expensive sports cars.

This is just a "look at ME" moment for the idle rich.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 02:27:50 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!