Author Topic: Why America Needs ICBMs  (Read 565 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why America Needs ICBMs
« on: February 06, 2024, 08:34:10 pm »
Why America Needs ICBMs
Adam Lowther

With the recent news that the Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) program is expected to experience a Nunn-McCurdy breach, which means program costs are expected to increase by at least 15 percent, many in the arms control community are calling for termination of the program and the elimination of the ICBM leg of the nuclear triad. Such a decision would be a mistake. Let me explain.

With the Minuteman III ICBM fleet now 50 years old and 35 years beyond its planned service life, there is no option but to build a new ICBM. Although Northrup Grumman, the prime contractor on the Sentinel program, made a good faith effort to estimate the cost of building a new missile and retrofitting Minuteman III launch control centers and launch facilities with the new hardware required for the new missile, no company has engaged in this kind of activity in five decades.

Thus, in many respects, any estimate of costs can be no more than a ballpark estimate at best. Think about it. Have you ever tried to do a home improvement project for the very first time and it went exactly as you planned—without a hitch? Of course not. What about those home improvement shows where the contractor always finds something hidden behind the drywall that sends the remodel cost way up? Doing something once every 50 years with a workforce that has zero experience with such a project is a recipe for cost overruns.

https://globalsecurityreview.com/why-america-needs-icbms/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Why America Needs ICBMs
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 08:35:35 pm »
For each one the US has, how many does Biden want to send to our enemies to provide equity, like a good woke military? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AL

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 04:17:28 pm »
Can't imagine 50 year old rockets that can be all that dependable.  Guess the strategy is toward the sub fleet deliveribg nukes when needed ??? :patriot:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 04:19:36 pm by AL »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 05:05:06 pm »
They should be concealing ICBM development inside the NASA civilian space program, like every other country that is advancing a "peaceful" space program.

////00000////

Would it be cheaper to buy North Korean, Chi-com, or Iranian ICBM's?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 05:18:56 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.