Author Topic: Real estate fraud risk is on the rise, and victims are sounding the alarm  (Read 404 times)

Offline libertybele

Real estate fraud risk is on the rise, and victims are sounding the alarm

Purchasing a home is an exciting milestone in a person's life, but criminals are increasingly exploiting such transactions through real estate fraud, robbing victims who are often left with little or no recourse.

CertifID's 2024 State of Wire Fraud report released Tuesday found that 1 in 20 Americans who bought or sold a home within the past three years have been victims of some type of real estate fraud, with the median amount in consumer losses exceeding $70,000 as a result of stolen buyer's down payments and seller's net proceeds.

The wire fraud protection company warns fraudsters have become increasingly skilled at leveraging public records, breaching broker and title agency systems, and posing as someone involved in a transaction to steal from unsuspecting consumers.

Virginia resident Darryl Aldrich and his wife were targeted in such a scam and shared the experience with FOX Business in an interview, saying it is "still kind of hard to believe" it happened.

Two days before closing on their home purchase, Aldrich received a legitimate email from the title company, alerting him that he would be receiving wiring instructions the next day. So, when he received an email with the identical email signature and wiring instructions the next day, he moved forward with sending the wire – more than $28,000.

When the Adlrichs showed up at the closing, the title officer asked when they planned to send the wire, saying it had not been received. So, the couple pulled up the email as proof of the instructions they had followed.

The problem was, the second email was sent by a fraudster impersonating the contact at the title company, with wire instructions to another account. The Aldrich's money had been wired to a criminal..................

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/real-estate-fraud-risk-on-rise-victims-sounding-alarm
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

Re: Real estate fraud risk is on the rise, and victims are sounding the alarm
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 06:58:19 pm »
Last year I had a piece of property that I own put up for sale with a full Zillow listing including pictures.

The thing is, I didn't list it... Got it take down quickly but if you are not on the lookout for that sort of thing it can go very wrong.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 07:02:53 pm »
Last year I had a piece of property that I own put up for sale with a full Zillow listing including pictures.

The thing is, I didn't list it... Got it take down quickly but if you are not on the lookout for that sort of thing it can go very wrong.

In my county we can put a fraud alert on our property.  Our real estate agent sent us a flyer notifying their past and present clientele of the up tick in real estate fraud.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 07:16:03 pm »
In my county we can put a fraud alert on our property.  Our real estate agent sent us a flyer notifying their past and present clientele of the up tick in real estate fraud.

Different states have different laws/resources. This was in California and there were no protections available short of monitoring it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 07:32:21 pm »
Different states have different laws/resources. This was in California and there were no protections available short of monitoring it.

Even with a fraud alert it is still a good idea to monitor your property.  I also have printed out a copy of our deed so that we have a paper copy rather than relying on the county website.  If the grid fails, then we still have a paper trail and proof of ownership.

With banks failing, and with problems with on-line banking things are getting pretty crazy. Everything is done "on-line" these days which has opened the door for fraud, lost transactions, etc.