Author Topic: ‘A life-and-death scenario’: These small businesses say they’re now forking over 100% of their profi  (Read 347 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘A life-and-death scenario’: These small businesses say they’re now forking over 100% of their profits to Uncle Sam
Story by Chris Matthews • 12h

WASHINGTON WATCH
Small businesses in sectors like software and manufacturing are panicking over the expiration of a critical tax deduction that they say could lead to mass layoffs and business closures, unless Congress acts quickly to amend the law.

“This is a life-and-death scenario for small software companies,” Michelle Hansen, co-founder of the geocoding company Geocodio, told MarketWatch.

The tax change that Hansen and other software executives are taking issue with was signed into law by then-President Donald Trump in 2017, as part of a larger tax-code overhaul that slashed the top corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%.

But in order to satisfy Senate budget rules and pass the law with only Republican votes, the bill could not increase the federal budget deficit over a 10-year span.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/a-life-and-death-scenario-these-small-businesses-say-they-re-now-forking-over-100-of-their-profits-to-uncle-sam/ar-BB1hOQ0P?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=4309e3a53a734421adacc7fa58b7a6d1&ei=138
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson