Author Topic: Last Harrier mechanics finish training as Corps shifts to F-35  (Read 187 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Last Harrier mechanics finish training as Corps shifts to F-35
« on: February 05, 2024, 02:55:06 pm »
Last Harrier mechanics finish training as Corps shifts to F-35
By Todd South
 Feb 3, 06:06 PM

The final class of Marine Corps Harrier mechanics has graduated from training, and later this year the last two Harrier pilots should complete their training, marking the “end of an era” as the service transitions to the F-35 Lightning II.

The bookend of the AV-8B Harrier II’s Marine service mirrors the replacement of the venerable F/A-18 Hornet, both of which will be replaced by the F-35.

The Harrier mechanics completed their training Monday, and those mechanics will continue to repair and maintain the F-402 engine as the Harrier completes its service in 2027.

“Teaching this class is bittersweet, I am proud to pass on knowledge to the last generation of students,” said Gunnery Sgt. Ryan Fife, a fixed-wing mechanic and instructor at the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina. “On the other side, this is the end of an era for the Marine Corps.”

The class of five Marine aviation mechanics will be assigned to Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 14, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2024/02/03/last-harrier-mechanics-finish-training-as-corps-shifts-to-f-35/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Last Harrier mechanics finish training as Corps shifts to F-35
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 03:41:44 pm »
So, the Marines are burning the Harriers and Hornets like Cortes buring his ships at Veracruz ... the only way is forward.

If the F-35 program managers are on top of their procurement game, they'll have the Harrier and Hornets destroyed rather than mothballed in the desert.

If the Harrier and Hornet manufacturers and servicing companies have their hooks still in the Marine procurement bureaucracy, they'll sell the planes off to other airforces to keep generating the maintenance revenue from those old birds.

If the old birds are mothballed in the desert, there's always the risk they may be brought back if the F-35's experience growing pains or burn-in issues.  The F-35 program manager, possibly looking towards future employment at the F-35 manaufacturer, will want to make sure the Marines can only move forward with F-35's, and not re-call the old birds to service.

Put all your eggs in one basket ... what could possibly go wrong?  Just ask Boeing airliner customers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 03:45:13 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.