Author Topic: Senators unveil bipartisan bill to impose tougher asylum and border laws  (Read 342 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Senators unveil bipartisan bill to impose tougher asylum and border laws

The $118 billion package is the result of months of negotiations between Senate Republicans and Democrats, as well as the Biden administration. It's not clear it will pass Congress.

Feb. 4, 2024, 6:39 PM EST / Updated Feb. 4, 2024, 10:09 PM EST
By Sahil Kapur, Scott Wong, Julie Tsirkin and Julia Ainsley
WASHINGTON — Senators released the long-awaited text of a bipartisan agreement to impose tougher immigration and asylum laws Sunday, as Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer eyes votes on the package this week.

The $118 billion package includes a series of provisions aimed at reducing record high crossings at the southern border and tightening an asylum system that has been overwhelmed by migrants fleeing their homes to seek refuge. It also includes critical aid to Israel, Ukraine and Taiwan, which Republicans have said they’ll only support if it is paired with significant new U.S. immigration restrictions.

The agreement — reached by Sens. James Lankford, R-Okla., Chris Murphy, D-Conn., and Kyrsten Sinema, I-Ariz. — would be the most aggressive border security and migration overhaul bill in decades if it passes Congress. It would raise the standard to get asylum, send away those who don't qualify and expedite cases for those who do.

“The Senate’s bipartisan agreement is a monumental step towards strengthening America’s national security abroad and along our borders,” Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement. “This is one of the most necessary and important pieces of legislation Congress has put forward in years to ensure America’s future prosperity and security.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/new-immigration-asylum-reform-bill-released-senate-text-rcna136602?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Senators unveil bipartisan bill to impose tougher asylum and border laws
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:36:52 pm »
Not to worry.  Hidden somewhere will be a loophole(s) to let them out of doing it if they want to. :nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 02:45:15 pm »
Not to worry.  Hidden somewhere will be a loophole(s) to let them out of doing it if they want to. :nono:

You mean like the immigration laws already on the books that they completely ignore?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 03:20:43 pm »
You mean like the immigration laws already on the books that they completely ignore?

That would be a "small start."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 04:05:10 pm »
There hasn't been anything preventing them from imposing tougher asylum and border laws, but, the Biden Admin has chosen not to enforce them.

The Dems want the money.  The Dems and Globalist Chamber of Commerce Republicans want the cheap immigrant labor.  They'll make false promises of enforcement to get what they want.

Funding should be done in installments that are contingent upon meeting certain goals.  Giving them a lump sum of money is just repeating past mistakes.  Once they have the money, they'll ignore enforcement again, especially after the 2024 elections.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 04:44:40 pm »

https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/1754523041680290158

Good!!  Yes, God bless them for doing what is right for this country.  McConnell is such a snake; he IS the biggest problem our senate has. We can only hope that he will retire sooner rather than later.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.