Author Topic: To Bomb or Not to Bomb Iran: That Is the Question  (Read 673 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
To Bomb or Not to Bomb Iran: That Is the Question
« on: February 05, 2024, 02:21:44 pm »
To Bomb or Not to Bomb Iran: That Is the Question
Air strikes must be proportional to presumed gains, as well as anticipated losses.

Douglas Macgregor
Feb 4, 2024
12:05 AM
Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Monday that it was “an incredibly volatile time in the Middle East.” The world, Blinken said, has “not seen a situation as dangerous as the one we’re facing now across the region since at least 1973, and arguably even before that.”

In response to Blinken’s astute evaluation, President Biden is “virtue signaling” to Washington’s war party that he too is willing to pointlessly bomb targets in the Middle East. In Washington, to do otherwise is to appear weak, something that presidents frequently conclude the leader of the world’s superpower cannot do.

Tehran made it clear that any strike on its territory is a redline and bombing any part of Iranian territory “would be met with an appropriate response.” Make no mistake, a strategic bombing campaign directed at Iran sends a clear and unambiguous message: The United States is at war with the Iranian State, its people, and its armed forces.

At this point, whether Biden does or does not remove Iran from his target list, Americans should still beware. There is no shortage of bombing activists inside the beltway who are convinced that war with Iran is the only solution to Iran’s hostility to Israel.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/to-bomb-or-not-to-bomb-iran-that-is-the-question/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: To Bomb or Not to Bomb Iran: That Is the Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:22:46 pm »

Air strikes must be proportional to presumed gains, as well as anticipated losses.

Talk about wokenesss!!!!!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Re: To Bomb or Not to Bomb Iran: That Is the Question
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 12:20:24 am »
Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo have written an op-ed for the Wall St. Journal encouraging the bombing of Iran (subscription needed to read the whole thing):
It’s Time to Strike Back at Iran
Appeasement has failed. The U.S. needs to restore deterrence in the Middle East and elsewhere.
By Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo
Feb. 8, 2024 4:48 pm ET

Escalating Iranian aggression cost the lives of three U.S. soldiers in Jordan. These intolerable acts of violence by the world’s leading state sponsor of terrorism can no longer go unpunished. The U.S. must respond with an immediate and unequivocal show of force that will begin to restore the deterrence that has decayed not only in the Middle East but around the world.

Over the past three years, President Biden’s diplomats have repeatedly made overtures and concessions to Iran, which has only emboldened the regime’s aggressive behavior. The Biden administration rolled back the Trump administration’s maximum-pressure strategy, agreed to a $6 billion ransom payment for five American hostages, allowed Iran to export more oil to China than ever, and removed the Houthis’ terrorist designation. Worse, the Biden administration has continued trying to revive the Iran nuclear deal, which would put Tehran back on the fast track to obtaining nuclear weapons.

The result of this appeasement is war, beginning Oct. 7 with Hamas’s atrocities against Israel.  ...
Another view:

Fred Fleitz
@FredFleitz
1/ So Mike Pence & Mike Pompeo want the US to bomb Iran.  Do they have a plan? Do they call for congressional authorization of such an attack? Of course not. And how can Pence & Pompeo trust the Biden Admin to conduct such an attack?

https://twitter.com/FredFleitz/status/1756024371225710747
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org