Author Topic: Switchblade 600 kamikaze drones in the running for Replicator mass production  (Read 266 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Switchblade 600 kamikaze drones in the running for Replicator mass production

With a 24-mile range, 40 minutes of loitering endurance and the ability to fly at speeds of up to 115 miles per hour, Switchblade 600s are built to destroy armored vehicles and other targets in multi-domain military operations.
BY
BRANDI VINCENT
FEBRUARY 2, 2024

Switchblade 600 kamikaze drones are among the first set of systems Pentagon leadership and Congress are evaluating to be mass produced and rapidly scaled through the ambitious new Replicator initiative, multiple sources told DefenseScoop this week.

The DOD’s stated goal of Replicator is to counter China’s massive, ongoing military buildup by fielding thousands of attritable autonomous systems in multiple domains by August 2025. Replicator selections for to-be-fielded products will be made across roughly 10 technology portfolios or sets and announced in various tranches, with the first encompassing more “mature” capabilities that have already been proven within U.S. military components.

The Pentagon recently revealed that a small number of capabilities were chosen last month to be prioritized for the initial Replicator tranche — but officials would not identify them. In December, Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology Doug Bush had previously suggested to DefenseScoop that the service nominated several drone systems for the initiative.

Sources who spoke to DefenseScoop on the condition of anonymity this week said AeroVironment-built Switchblade 600 attack drones made Hicks’ cut for the Replicator loitering munitions capability set, via the Army’s Tactical Aviation and Ground Munitions (TAGM) program.

https://defensescoop.com/2024/02/02/switchblade-600-kamikaze-drones-replicator-mass-production/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Which countries will get them before our own military, and will there be any formidable numbers of them left? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DB

Why do they call it a "kamikaze" drone???

Any programmable weapon that hits its target is "kamikaze" by that definition and is nothing new.

It is just a flying bomb. Like a cruise missile but more agile and smaller. And because of its lower cost it can be mass produced and delivered in swarms which is very hard to defend against.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

Maybe we're thinking of the wrong kamikaze?  Their payload could be booze to get the enemy sloshed.

&&making cocktail

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.