Author Topic: What’s next for the US-Philippines basing agreement?  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What’s next for the US-Philippines basing agreement?
« on: February 05, 2024, 02:10:12 pm »
What’s next for the US-Philippines basing agreement?
By Leilani Chavez
 Feb 5, 07:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines is expected to work on dozens of projects this year to upgrade military bases as part of an agreement with the United States.

Signed in 2014, the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement allows the U.S. to allocate funding to improve and construct facilities within existing Philippine military bases as well as to deploy American troops on a rotational basis.

For example, the Philippine government has proposed airstrip repairs for this year at Naval Base Camilo Osias, on the northern tip of the country’s island of Luzon, as part of the upgrade plans financed by the United States.

And some 42 miles southwest of the base, at Lal-Lo Airport, also in Cagayan province, the government is considering construction of a fuel storage facility and a command center.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia-pacific/2024/02/05/whats-next-for-the-us-philippines-basing-agreement/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: What’s next for the US-Philippines basing agreement?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 02:11:57 pm »
Do they have enough hookers around the bases the way they did during Viet Nam or will they have to start importing more from the islands? wink777
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 02:13:07 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson