Author Topic: Access to Abortion Drug is a National Security Issue, Former Top Military Officials Claim in Legal  (Read 167 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Access to Abortion Drug is a National Security Issue, Former Top Military Officials Claim in Legal 
Military.com | By Patricia Kime
Published February 01, 2024 at 4:11pm ET

Former secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force as well as former high-ranking military service members say that restricting access to mifepristone, the medication used in more than half of all medical abortions in the U.S., would hurt recruitment, military readiness and cause undue harm to national security.

In a brief filed to the U.S. Supreme Court ahead of oral arguments March 26 in a case challenging the availability of the drug, former secretaries Louis Caldera of the Army, Ray Mabus of the Navy and Deborah James of the Air Force urged the court to reject any move to limit its access. The three secretaries all served under Democratic administrations.

Advertisement
At issue in the case is a challenge to the Food and Drug Administration's long-standing approval of the drug and federal judicial rulings on prescriptions for it and access to it by telemedicine or mail. The case is also part of a larger legal and political fight in the U.S. over abortion access after the Supreme Court struck down Roe v. Wade in 2022, and unleashed a struggle in the courts -- also between Republicans and Democrats -- as states have legislated their own rules and restrictions on abortion.

The secretaries, joined by retired Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy -- the Army's first female three-star officer -- and others, including the Vet Voice Foundation, a nonprofit veterans advocacy group, said restrictions would impair recruitment, which in itself poses a strain on the existing force.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/02/01/access-abortion-drug-national-security-issue-former-top-military-officials-claim-legal-filing.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dumb old me!  Here I thought the only things that were national security issues were global goreing, gay rights, rights to trannie conversion surgery, DEI, crying rooms for "triggered" troops, tampon dispensers in men's quarters, bullets painted in the colors of the gay rights movement, abortions (even for men), and eco-friendly vehicles.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson