Author Topic: A Houthi missile got within a nautical mile of USS Gravely on Tuesday  (Read 325 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Houthi missile got within a nautical mile of USS Gravely on Tuesday
By Geoff Ziezulewicz
 Thursday, Feb 1

A Houthi anti-ship missile got within a nautical mile of the Navy destroyer Gravely on Tuesday, and the warship used its Phalanx Close-In Weapons System to take the missile out, a senior defense official has confirmed to Navy Times.

The official, granted anonymity to discuss operations, declined to comment on why the system, known as CIWS, was used to take out the target, when destroyers, like Gravely, have several weapons systems and missiles for taking out such targets from farther ranges.

But the official pushed back on any suggestion that Monday’s close call entailed any kind of advancement in the sophistication of attacks by the Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who have shot dozens of attack drones and missiles at commercial vessels and Navy ships in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October.

CNN first reported the close call on Wednesday.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-navy/2024/02/01/a-houthi-missile-got-within-a-nautical-mile-of-uss-gravely-on-tuesday/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: A Houthi missile got within a nautical mile of USS Gravely on Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 04:10:28 pm »
Does the Navy have enough munitions to make Houthis pay if they make a hit?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 10:35:58 pm »
"A Houthi missile got within a nautical mile of USS Gravely on Tuesday"

If they got THAT close -- even if the missile was intercepted -- what this tells me is that the Houtis "are gettin' better at it".

Sooner or later, they're gonna score a direct hit.

What will happen then?

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 10:38:08 pm »
Does the Navy have enough munitions to make Houthis pay if they make a hit?

My hunch is no. Do the U.S. military in general have enough munitions to get involved in another war?  My hunch is no.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 10:31:41 am »
My hunch is no. Do the U.S. military in general have enough munitions to get involved in another war?  My hunch is no.

This would also imply they don't have enough munitions to properly defend the 50 states and territories.
Thomas Jefferson