Author Topic: Report: unpacking the strategic implications of US retaliatory strikes in Iraq and Syria  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Report: unpacking the strategic implications of US retaliatory strikes in Iraq and Syria

2024-02-04 08:57

Shafaq News/ The Australian website "The Conversation" cautioned that the prolonged conflict in Gaza heightens the potential for attacks by Iranian-backed armed factions on American military bases and other targets. It deemed the strikes carried out by Washington against these factions in Iraq and Syria as an "appropriate response."

In a report published on Feb 3, The Conversation reported that the United States mounted more than 125 retaliatory strikes against Iranian forces and Iranian-backed militias at seven military sites in Iraq and Syria on Feb 2, 2024, after a drone strike killed three US soldiers and injured 34 more in Jordan on Jan 28.

The retaliatory strikes, which US military officials say hit 85 targets, including command and control operations centers, intelligence centers, and munition supply chain facilities, are the latest chapter in the Middle East conflict, which President Joe Biden has tried to avoid escalating.

The Conversation US spoke with Gregory Treverton, a former chairman of the National Intelligence Council in the Obama administration, to understand the strategic thinking behind this retaliatory attack.

https://shafaq.com/en/Report/Report-unpacking-the-strategic-implications-of-US-retaliatory-strikes-in-Iraq-and-Syria
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I wonder when Biden and Gen. Davis plan assaults on red states in retaliation for Houthi actions in the Middle East? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson