Author Topic: The Massive Spike in Immigration Court ‘No-Shows’  (Read 166 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Massive Spike in Immigration Court ‘No-Shows’
« on: February 03, 2024, 02:57:01 pm »
The Massive Spike in Immigration Court ‘No-Shows’
Undermining the credibility of our immigration system; they may not care, but you should

By Andrew R. Arthur on February 2, 2024

in absentia
In October, DOJ published a chart captioned “In Absentia Removal Orders”, that is, statistics on the number of alien respondents in removal proceedings who were supposed to go to court but didn’t. It reveals that 159,379 aliens failed to appear as required before immigration judges (IJs) in FY 2023, an all-time record. It’s just the latest — but one of the clearest — in a line of examples of how the administration is breaking our immigration system. Those aliens may not care enough to show up, but you should care about the effects it has on the credibility of our system of laws to allow aliens in, and keep them out.

In Absentia Orders. The best place to start in putting all of this into context is section 240 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), which governs removal proceedings in immigration court.

Those proceedings are presided over by IJs — a job that I held for more than eight years — but I never had to worry about respondents coming to my court because I was in the late York Immigration Court, a detained facility just over the Mason-Dixon line from Maryland in Pennsylvania.

Every respondent in a detained facility must appear in court whether they want to or not. Most of my respondents were detained in the prison where my court was located and appeared in person, or in separate state or federal facilities and appeared via Video Teleconference or “VTC”.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Massive-Spike-Immigration-Court-NoShows
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline libertybele

Re: The Massive Spike in Immigration Court ‘No-Shows’
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 03:18:53 pm »
This isn't anything new, it's been going on for decades.  Once in this country, there is no reason for ILLEGALS to show up.  They came into this country illegally, why would they all of a sudden obey the law?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.