Author Topic: Americans think democracy is in peril in the 2024 election  (Read 506 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Americans think democracy is in peril in the 2024 election
« on: February 02, 2024, 06:10:10 pm »
 Americans think democracy is in peril in the 2024 election
1h

Americans are worried about their democracy to an unprecedented degree. Only 28 percent of adults said they were satisfied with the way democracy is working in the U.S. in a December Gallup survey. That's lower even than the 35 percent in a survey right after the Jan. 6 insurrection, which came amid former President Donald Trump's repeated and ongoing claims that the 2020 election was "stolen" from him. In an AP-NORC poll from Nov. 30 to Dec. 4, 67 percent said the outcome of the 2024 election will be extremely or very important for the future of democracy in the country. It's a message both Trump and President Joe Biden are echoing as they gear up for a likely rematch in November.

This is perhaps unsurprising in light of the lack of faith in elections that helped provoke the Jan. 6 insurrection and continued efforts by Trump and other Republicans to paint the 2020 results as fraudulent. "I see a lot of ways in which our democracy has already deteriorated," said Susan Stokes, a political science professor at the University of Chicago who studies comparative democracies. "In the best-case scenario, it would take a while to come back."

These sentiments have shown up in many surveys. In an August Morning Consult/Bipartisan Policy Center poll, 82 percent of voters said they were worried about democracy in the U.S. Half of voters even said having a functioning democracy was a bigger immediate concern than having a strong economy in a YouGov/CBS News poll from January. Two in three Americans were concerned about a repeat of Jan. 6 in a December Navigator poll, and 85 percent were worried about political violence in the future.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/americans-think-democracy-is-in-peril-in-the-2024-election/ar-BB1hDoHB
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Americans think democracy is in peril in the 2024 election
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 06:27:39 pm »
Well, if democracy in America is in peril, maybe we can kill it off and return to the republican form of government the Founders provided us.

Unfortunately, the more likely replacement is the sort of fascism the nitwits who think Trump represents an "existential threat to democracy" want to impose, with tech companies censoring the internet at the behest of unelected bureaucrats, parents who object to grade-school children being taught gender ideology and people who prefer the Latin Mass labeled "domestic terrorists" and investigated by the FBI,...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:30:56 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 06:32:48 pm »
Maybe I missed it, didn’t see anywhere in the article where anybody defined what they thought the term democracy meant
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline The_Reader_David

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 11:24:51 pm »
Maybe I missed it, didn’t see anywhere in the article where anybody defined what they thought the term democracy meant

That's how the Democrats and the media (but I repeat myself) want it.  They want you to think that when they say "democracy", they mean rule by the δῆμος, but what they really mean is rule by Democrats.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 11:26:22 pm »

It means barring the person you don't want to win from the ballot, so people cannot vote for them even if they want to. /s

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 04:16:36 am »
You would have to be pretty stupid to think it's not.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 04:27:55 am »
You would have to be pretty stupid to think it's not.

Yeah. From BOTH directions.