Author Topic: The deterrence problem: America took its eye off Iran with Indo-Pacific pivot, ex-CENTCOM chief says  (Read 207 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The deterrence problem: America took its eye off Iran with Indo-Pacific pivot, ex-CENTCOM chief says
As the US and Israel contend with multiple Iranian proxy groups in the Middle East, Joseph Votel told Breaking Defense the US must “hold [Iran] accountable.”
By   RIAD KAHWAJI
on February 01, 2024 at 1:32 PM

DUBAI — The rapid escalation of violence by Iranian proxies against the US and Israel in the Middle East since Oct. 7 is the result of a failure of deterrence that reaches back into years of US foreign policy shifts and the lack of direct action against Iran for its aggressive behavior in that time, according to former top US general in the Middle East and other experts.

“I think the problem with all of these strikes (in Iraq, Syria and the Red Sea) is that we have failed to directly hold Iran accountable,” Gen. Joseph Votel, former US Central Command chief, told Breaking Defense. “We need to strike back at the groups perpetrating these attacks, but we also have to recognize that Iran is behind all these attacks, and we must use all forms of national power to hold them accountable.”

Ever since Hamas’s deadly surprise attack on Oct. 7 against Israeli military posts and settlements, Iranian proxies in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq and Yemen have launched a series of attacks that targeted Israeli territories and US bases in the Middle East, as well as commercial shipping in the Red Sea.

https://breakingdefense.com/2024/02/the-deterrence-problem-america-took-its-eye-off-iran-with-indo-pacific-pivot-ex-centcom-chief-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 "The deterrence problem: America took its eye off Iran"

Is that what happened in Afghanistan also?  Is it a recurring problem for the military? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Iran is a valuable distraction for China and Russia to draw attention and resources from Ukraine and Taiwan.

Always ask "Who benefits or who benefits the most?"
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline PeteS in CA

Giving Iran access to billions of $$ probably was a stupid move. Putting it more seriously, those billions funded Arab Palis' attacks on Israel and Iranian proxies' attacks on the US and other nations.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.