Author Topic: The Pentagon has been learning the wrong lessons for three decades  (Read 1456 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Pentagon has been learning the wrong lessons for three decades
The Gulf War sowed the seeds of future defeat. We must uproot them—and urgently.
JOHN FERRARI | JANUARY 31, 2024
COMMENTARY PENTAGON

The lightning-fast victory of the U.S. military over the Iraqi Army in the early 1990s marked a generational turning point for warfare, with the predominant lesson being that exquisite and precise munitions were the key to winning future conflicts. This fit a narrative that many desperately wanted at that time: namely, that we could spend less money, have fewer forces, and turn warfare into a targeting exercise by overwhelming the enemy with precise, short-burst barrages driven by top-down decision-making, all enabled by the digital revolution.

The lessons our senior officials learned from the conflict encapsulated this narrative: spend more to get less, wars can be short with limited casualties, and policymakers can use technology to control from afar. These lessons made their way into military parlance, neatly tied up into concepts like revolution in military affairs, shock and awe, and effects-based operations.

Recent wars have provided, to borrow a phrase from former Vice President Gore, an “inconvenient truth”: the United States military establishment may have fallen into the victor’s trap and assumed away the problems and challenges of future warfare. From Somalia in 1993, to nearly twenty years in Iraq and Afghanistan, to today’s wars in Ukraine and Israel, it’s becoming apparent that the United States may have built the entirely wrong war machine needed for the 21st century. 

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2024/01/pentagon-has-been-learning-wrong-lessons-three-decades/393765/?oref=d1-skybox-hp
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: The Pentagon has been learning the wrong lessons for three decades
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 03:15:48 pm »
Well, not only DoD but the entire U.S. government in essentially allowing most of our country's military industrial base to either erode, get consolidated into oblivion, or else outsourced to China.  Congress is at clear fault too for not doing its job since 1991, or before.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 04:26:09 pm »
Well, not only DoD but the entire U.S. government in essentially allowing most of our country's military industrial base to either erode, get consolidated into oblivion, or else outsourced to China.  Congress is at clear fault too for not doing its job since 1991, or before.

@Timber Rattler

Want to find a name for the Congresscritter responsible for starting this?

Just do the research  to discover who got Miss Miley her appointment to West Point,and then baby-sat her during her career to make sure that she was NEVER in any danger while assigned to combat units (always a Staff Officer to the CG),and then used his influence to get Miss Miley appointed as the CMMFIC of the US Army.

This goes back decades,so I am sure the one that started this is long out of office and/or dead,but some other globalist in Congress took up the reins when  he died to make sure that POS ended up in a position to destroy our military as an effective fighting force.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2024, 04:49:12 pm »
Wars are not only military, they are also economic, political, and diplomatic.

Bombs are tactical solutions to strategic problems.

America has no strategy in the 21st century.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2024, 05:59:25 pm »

@Timber Rattler

Want to find a name for the Congresscritter responsible for starting this?

Just do the research  to discover who got Miss Miley her appointment to West Point,and then baby-sat her during her career to make sure that she was NEVER in any danger while assigned to combat units (always a Staff Officer to the CG),and then used his influence to get Miss Miley appointed as the CMMFIC of the US Army.

This goes back decades,so I am sure the one that started this is long out of office and/or dead,but some other globalist in Congress took up the reins when  he died to make sure that POS ended up in a position to destroy our military as an effective fighting force.

You can start with Pat Schoeder, Les Aspin, Ron Dellums, Sam Nunn, Floyd Spence, and John Warner.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 08:02:56 pm »
You can start with Pat Schoeder, Les Aspin, Ron Dellums, Sam Nunn, Floyd Spence, and John Warner.
You can start with them, but when it comes to who put Miss Milley in the position to cause the most damage, the list ends with Donald "all the best people' Trump.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 11:31:19 pm »
You can start with them, but when it comes to who put Miss Milley in the position to cause the most damage, the list ends with Donald "all the best people' Trump.

@GtHawk

HorseHillary!

Miss Miley had her local congress critter nominate  her for West Point when she was around 18. That's how it works unless your father was a Medal of Honor awardee.

Where is your evidence that Trump knew her and approved of her when she was 18?

Then,after graduating,it took a whole SLEW of people in DC to keep working hard to get her the "right assignments" that would further her career without actually putting her at risk. When a war deployment would come along,she would be a member of the senior staff in planning and operations,not a combatant.

They even got her a Commanding officer slot in a Special Forces Group to increase her chances of getting promoted to higher positions.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 04:24:27 am »
@GtHawk

HorseHillary!

Miss Miley had her local congress critter nominate  her for West Point when she was around 18. That's how it works unless your father was a Medal of Honor awardee.

Where is your evidence that Trump knew her and approved of her when she was 18?

Then,after graduating,it took a whole SLEW of people in DC to keep working hard to get her the "right assignments" that would further her career without actually putting her at risk. When a war deployment would come along,she would be a member of the senior staff in planning and operations,not a combatant.

They even got her a Commanding officer slot in a Special Forces Group to increase her chances of getting promoted to higher positions.

Trump appointed Miley to Chairman as the Joint Chiefs of staff despite the objections from those around him

It's funny how you want to hold everyone else accountable for Miley but not the object of your affection happy77
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 04:33:33 am »
Trump appointed Miley to Chairman as the Joint Chiefs of staff despite the objections from those around him

It's funny how you want to hold everyone else accountable for Miley but not the object of your affection happy77
This is why I don't respond to him anymore.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 04:50:50 am »

@LMAO

Funny how you want to create "spin" from nothing to feed your envy and hatred for "Rude Orange Man".

Care to explain to all of us how Trump even knew who Miley was?

We all know though,don't we?

Trump didn't even know Miley. He followed the suggestion of one or more of his career political advisors to nominate Miley. Advising is what advisors do,and following the advice of their advisors,who they have been told are the best and most knowledgeable people in the business is what IS what CEO's and Presidents do.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2024, 05:07:00 am »

Trump didn't even know Miley. He followed the suggestion of one or more of his career political advisors to nominate Miley. Advising is what advisors do,and following the advice of their advisors,who they have been told are the best and most knowledgeable people in the business is what IS what CEO's and Presidents do.

Lol...try again

https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/trump-chooses-new-joint-chiefs-of-staff-chairman-against-mattis-wishes-118120900030_1.html

"Mark is a great gentleman, great soldier. I look forward to that," Trump then told reporters before heading to the annual Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia.
But in choosing the 60-year-old Milley, a graduate of Princeton University known for his combat command experience, Trump went against the wishes of Mattis, who reportedly favoured Air Force General David Goldfein.

Your turn. Who were the "career political advisors" that you claim that recommended Miley to Trump? Names?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:12:10 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2024, 06:28:16 am »
Lol...try again

https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/trump-chooses-new-joint-chiefs-of-staff-chairman-against-mattis-wishes-118120900030_1.html

"Mark is a great gentleman, great soldier. I look forward to that," Trump then told reporters before heading to the annual Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia.
But in choosing the 60-year-old Milley, a graduate of Princeton University known for his combat command experience, Trump went against the wishes of Mattis, who reportedly favoured Air Force General David Goldfein.

Your turn. Who were the "career political advisors" that you claim that recommended Miley to Trump? Names?

@LMAO

LYAOA,bubba. The link doesn't even claim that Trump knew Miss Miley prior to meeting him that day. Miley and the USAF guy were RECOMMENDED to him as potential COS of the US Military,and Trump chose Miley over the USAF General.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 07:31:29 am »
@LMAO

Funny how you want to create "spin" from nothing to feed your envy and hatred for "Rude Orange Man".

It's not spin @sneakypete . It's fact.

Care to explain to all of us how Trump even knew who Miley was?

That's more damning yet.

No. Advisors bring a short list, and reasonable research. But the CEO always - ALWAYS - makes the final decisions. That's what CEOs do.

So your contention that he had the wool pulled over his eyes from his advisors is most probably false - and if true, is more damning even yet.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 10:44:09 am »

That's more damning yet.

No. Advisors bring a short list, and reasonable research. But the CEO always - ALWAYS - makes the final decisions. That's what CEOs do.

So your contention that he had the wool pulled over his eyes from his advisors is most probably false - and if true, is more damning even yet.

@roamer_1

Your hatred and envy of the rich shines through like a laser light.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 12:00:31 pm »
@LMAO

LYAOA,bubba. The link doesn't even claim that Trump knew Miss Miley prior to meeting him that day. Miley and the USAF guy were RECOMMENDED to him as potential COS of the US Military,and Trump chose Miley over the USAF General.

And your reply just made my point whether you realize it or not… Lol.

And your statement is provably false. Miley was not recommended to the object of your affection. He chose Miley despite him not being recommended for his position. If you’re so sure of your position, name the advisor that recommended Miley to Donald Trump. The answer is you can’t because there was none. But that hasn’t stopped you for creating an imaginary one.

I know that the others have gone round and round on this before, and despite the evidence, you still cling  to your false narrative. So knock yourself out if it makes you feel better.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 12:09:42 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline LMAO

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2024, 12:05:06 pm »

That's more damning yet.

The more he attempts defends the object of his affection on the subject of Miley,  the more he he makes our point

Let him keep posting.  It’s funny how everybody in the world is responsible for the advancement of  Miley except the guy who pointed him to be chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

And it isn’t just this subject, but  with everything else his supporters carve out exemptions for him

The fact is Donald Trump appointed Miley to his position over the disagreement of Mattis. And the reason he did it is because Miley charmed him.

Barry Goldwater

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2024, 03:39:11 pm »
The Pentagon has been learning the wrong lessons for three decades

Wrong! It's at least five decades now.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2024, 03:46:41 pm »

And your reply just made my point whether you realize it or not… Lol.

And your statement is provably false. Miley was not recommended to the object of your affection.

@LMAO

Prove it,Bubba.

In WHAT delusional world do you live it  that has someone with Trump's  background  socializing with senior US Army officers?

He chose Miley despite him not being recommended for his position.

SOMEBODY knew  and recommended Miley,but  it wasn't Trump.

If you’re so sure of your position, name the advisor that recommended Miley to Donald Trump. The answer is you can’t because there was none. But that hasn’t stopped you for creating an imaginary one.

It is NOT up to me to provide names. THAT one is on you because YOU are one of the obsessive "Ah  hates Rude,Rich,Orange Man" groupies here on this board.

The truth is you and those of you in your jealousy cult would rather see Biden re-elected and America destroyed if that is what it would take to win your "Class Warfare Battle".

EDAD.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2024, 04:16:13 pm »
The more he attempts defends the object of his affection on the subject of Miley,  the more he he makes our point

Let him keep posting.  It’s funny how everybody in the world is responsible for the advancement of  Miley except the guy who pointed him to be chairman of the joint chiefs of staff.

And it isn’t just this subject, but  with everything else his supporters carve out exemptions for him

The fact is Donald Trump appointed Miley to his position over the disagreement of Mattis. And the reason he did it is because Miley charmed him.

@LMAO

Ahhh,now you are a Gypsy  Fortune Teller that even knows WHY Trump chose him?

I seriously doubt Trump had ever even heard his name before he met him that day. It was one of more of his adides/advisors that suggested Miley and made the appointment for the interview.

I am also GUESSING that Miley CAN be charming when he needs to be,or he would have never even received his first star. His actual record is nothing to brag about. Always in staff positions when he had to go to war,and GIVEN positions like a SF Group command as a  gift to help his career.

Yeah,he DOES have a CIB. So does the jeep driver that drove him around while he was in a staff position during whatever conflict he was awarded a CIB.

In case you don't know,the "rules" seem to be different for staff officers than they  are for Staff Sergeants and below.

Although in one case I am aware of a whole brigade in the 82nd Abn Division were awarded CIB's after the Brigade was deployed to the Dominican Republic uprising in the early 60's. Including the guys that remained behind at Bragg.

BTW,I also went to the DR on that operation,and don't recall ever hearing a shot fired anywhere. Nor did I or anyone else I knew expect a CIB for that BS

Later,when that same 82nd Abn Brigade was transferred to VN,the senior officers put themselves ( AND,IIRC,their senior NCO's in for a CIB second award star on the badge,and not only had it denied,they had their original awards from the DR pulled.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2024, 04:21:55 pm »

@LMAO  No,but it DOES highlight YOUR obsession with  "RUDE  RICH ORANGE MAN!"

I have stated here several times that I  don't even like Trump,but none of you "Ah hates rich orange man" losers seem to believe it because YOU  are in love with the idea of hating Trump and voting for ANYONE that will keep him out of office.

I am beginning to suspect that most of you  would rather vote for the DNC candidate in the upcoming Presidential election than vote for Trump.

So just go ahead and keep playing your "rough,tough guy" fantasies out if that is what makes you  feel manly. Yeah,America as a nation of free people will no longer exist,but who cares as long as you losers can pat yourselves on the back and do your little "superiority dances" because "I wuz rite when ah sad dat Trump woodin win!"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2024, 04:22:45 pm »
Wrong! It's at least five decades now.

@Bigun

The Pentagon learns lessons?

Who  knew?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2024, 05:55:51 pm »
@roamer_1

Your hatred and envy of the rich shines through like a laser light.

@sneakypete

Same old bullshit you always lean to. When someone says truth that you cannot defend against, you revert to ad-hominem every time.

That is what shines through like a laser.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2024, 06:00:21 pm »

*FACTS*

That's right. And all the name-calling in the world won't change that.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2024, 06:04:54 pm »
*FACTS*

That's right. And all the name-calling in the world won't change that.

Yup

Facts don’t go away just because he doesn’t like them

And the more angry he gets at the facts because he knows he can’t dispute them, the more we see the “rich,orange man rude” comments come out. Others have also showed him solid proof that Trump chose Miley all on his own, and not with the advice of his advisors, but he still sticks to the narrative that Trump was the victim.

But, despite his protests, Trump did appoint Miley to his position over the objections of others. Why he chose him over the objections of people like Mattis is speculation. But I am probably right and guessing it’s the same way he chooses everybody else and that is based on the amount of ring kissing they’re willing to do.

The “he didn’t know who Miley was” defense isn’t an excuse. In fact, it’s further damning to Trump
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 06:50:17 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 11:55:21 pm »
@sneakypete

Same old bullshit you always lean to. When someone says truth that you cannot defend against, you revert to ad-hominem every time.

That is what shines through like a laser.

@roamer_1

WHAT FREAKING "TRUTH"?,
All you are doing is airing your freaking opinion,which is,BTW,nothing more than a brain fart.