Author Topic: US pilot safely ejects before F-16 crashes off South Korean coast  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US pilot safely ejects before F-16 crashes off South Korean coast
By The Associated Press Staff
 Jan 31, 08:26 AM

An 8th Fighter Wing F-16 Fighting Falcon takes off during a routine training event at Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea. (Tech. Sgt. Kristin S. High/Air Force)
A U.S. Air Force pilot safely ejected from an F-16 fighter jet that crashed into waters off the west coast of South Korea on Wednesday. It is the second such crash in less than two months.

The unidentified pilot was conscious and was transported to a medical facility for assessment, the U.S. 8th Fighter Wing said in a statement. Unit officials said its personnel worked closely with U.S. and South Korean mission partners to recover the pilot, who experienced an unspecified in-flight emergency and ejected before the plane crashed into sea.

The cause of the crash, which reportedly occurred near the port city of Seosan, is under investigation. There were no immediate reports of casualties or property damage caused by the crash.

“We are very thankful to the Republic of Korea rescue forces and all of our teammates who made the swift recovery of our pilot possible,” said Col. Matthew C. Gaetke, the wing’s commander. “Now we will shift our focus to search and recovery of the aircraft.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-air-force/2024/01/31/us-pilot-safely-ejects-before-f-16-crashes-in-south-korean-sea/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson