Author Topic: S. 3589: Preventing Private Paramilitary Activity Act of 2024  (Read 887 times)

Offline mountaineer

S. 3589: Preventing Private Paramilitary Activity Act of 2024
« on: January 31, 2024, 03:26:55 pm »
Bill pending in U.S. Senate to ban private militias.
... A BILL

To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit unauthorized private paramilitary activity, and for other purposes.
1. Short title - This Act may be cited as the "Preventing Private Paramilitary Activity Act of 2024".
2. Prohibition of unauthorized private paramilitary activity  ...

(9) Private paramilitary organization - The term private paramilitary organization means any group of 3 or more persons associating under a command structure for the purpose of functioning in public or training to function in public as a combat, combat support, law enforcement, or security services unit.

Sec. 2742.

Unauthorized private paramilitary activity
(a) Offense
It shall be unlawful to knowingly, in a circumstance described in subsection (b), while acting as part of or on behalf of a private paramilitary organization and armed with a firearm, explosive or incendiary device, or other dangerous weapon—
(1) publically patrol, drill, or engage in techniques capable of causing bodily injury or death;  ...
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/118/s3589/text

Since the Constitution says militias should be well regulated, does banning people from training violate that provision? After all, that's what well regulated means.

Looks to me like the law would ban my church's security team ("security services unit"), of which Mr. M and I are members. We have received police-style training with our weapons and regularly go to the range to maintain our skills - with guns and ammunition that are capable of causing bodily injury or death. Oops, that may be "publically" patrolling or drilling.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:35:15 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: S. 3589: Preventing Private Paramilitary Activity Act of 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 03:29:03 pm »
Co-sponsor, clown Sen. Ed Markey, touts the bill in a press release:
anuary 11, 2024
Following January 6th Anniversary, Senator Markey and Congressman Raskin Introduce Legislation to Stop Private Paramilitary Activity

Washington (January 11, 2024) - Following the anniversary of the January 6th attack on the United States Capitol, Senator Edward J. Markey (D-Mass.) and Congressman Jamie Raskin (MD-08) introduced the Preventing Private Paramilitary Activity Act, legislation that would create a federal prohibition on paramilitary groups through civil and criminal enforcement. The prohibition would hold individuals liable who directly engage in certain types of conduct, including intimidating state and local officials, interfering with government proceedings, pretending to be law enforcement, and violating people’s constitutional rights, while armed and acting as part of a private paramilitary organization. 

There are currently no federal laws that address paramilitary activity or protect millions of Americans whose rights are threatened by this type of violent anti-democratic intimidation. Although all 50 states prohibit private paramilitary conduct, these laws are far too often outdated, underenforced, or ignored. Private military organizations pose a threat not only to national security, but they also present a public safety problem that extends beyond any single state; for example, private paramilitary actors like the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers traveled across state lines on January 6th. 

“Three years ago, white supremacists affiliated with paramilitary organizations stormed the U.S. Capitol, shattering windows, walls, and the families of five U.S. Capitol police officers,” said Senator Markey. “Private paramilitary actors, such as the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, pose a serious threat to democracy and the rule of law, and we must create new prohibitions on their unauthorized activities that interfere with the exercise of people’s constitutional rights. The forces of bigotry, hatred, and violent extremism must be stopped for the sake of our democracy.”

“Patrolling neighborhoods, impeding law enforcement and storming the U.S. Capitol, private paramilitary groups like the Oath Keepers, the Three Percenters and the Proud Boys are using political violence to intimidate our people and threaten democratic government and the rule of law,” said Congressman Raskin. “Our legislation makes the obvious but essential clarification that these domestic extremists’ paramilitary operations are in no way protected by our Constitution. I’m grateful to Senator Markey for his partnership on this critical effort to protect the rule of law, deter insurrection and defend our democracy.”  ...
Freaking liars.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2024, 03:34:36 pm »
Totally unconstitutional, via several of the original ten amendments, i.e. the Bill of Rights.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2024, 03:48:10 pm »
Ian Miles Cheong
@stillgray
Sen. Markey and Rep. Raskin have introduced a bill to ban all private militias such as the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers. I guess the First and Second Amendments don’t exist anymore.
2:22 AM · Jan 31, 2024

John Hawkins
@johnhawkinsrwn
Liberals spent all of 2020 allowing their own private BLM and ANTIFA militias run wild in liberal cities and then they rewarded them for breaking the law with massive settlements in cities all across America.
4:25 AM · Jan 31, 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 11:13:47 pm »
Yep, same conclusion I reached when I found this story back on Jan. 31.
Senate Democrats Propose Bill That Would Criminalize Armed Church Security
Paul Brown
Feb. 16, 2024
Protestia

A recent Lifeway survey of Protestant pastors shows that armed congregants protect more than 50% of protestant churches. While these security arrangements vary in their level of sophistication on a church-by-church basis, nearly the same number of pastors who report the use of armed congregants report that there is an intentional plan in place to prepare for threats posed by an active shooter. Though various state and local laws currently regulate and limit the use of concealed carry weapons by church security teams in various locale, a proposed federal law would criminalize the preparations made by many armed church security teams across the United States.

Sponsored in the U.S. Senate by Senator Edward Markey (D-MA) and cosponsored by Senator Laphonza Butler (D-CA), the Preventing Private Military Activity Act of 2024 widely defines a paramilitary group as any group of 3 or more persons who function under a command structure as a “security services unit.” ...

If passed, the bill would make it illegal to “publicly patrol, drill, or engage in techniques capable of causing bodily injury or death.” Power to enforce this law would be derived from the interstate commerce clause of the constitution, as the proposed bill would be applicable whenever a church security team utilizes either weapons or ammunition that have “traveled in interstate or foreign commerce,” a clause that applies to nearly every weapon and round of ammunition in circulation. Additionally, even the act of training to engage in an activity that could cause bodily injury or death, such as an active shooter drill, would be considered a violation of federal law under the proposal. ...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 07:23:23 am »
How in the hell are armed (private) security companies supposed to train their people and keep those skills intact?

Maybe our government should key into the fact that if they are that damned scared of their citizens and constituents, they just might be doing their job all wrong.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 07:24:21 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 12:23:42 pm »
If two members of our gun club use the pistol range at the same time, do they constitute a militia training, for purposes of this BS act? 😬

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 03:12:27 pm »
Totally unconstitutional, via several of the original ten amendments, i.e. the Bill of Rights.

@Timber Rattler

Do you really think the left is going to allow minor things like the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights get in their way at this point in time?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online LMAO

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 06:38:05 pm »

Fundraising

Red meat for their base
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 06:39:50 pm »
So Antifa and the Black Panthers will be outlawed?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 07:05:59 pm »
The Brownshirts of the DNC? Unlikely.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 10:57:48 pm »

@Hoodat

LOL!

Good one!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!