Author Topic: House Republicans poised to torpedo GOP’s best chance in years to pass border bill  (Read 204 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
House Republicans poised to torpedo GOP’s best chance in years to pass border bill
by: Emily Brooks, Mike Lillis, The Hill

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 / 01:42 PM CST

Updated: Jan 30, 2024 / 04:09 PM CST

House Republicans appear to be on the precipice of torpedoing their best opportunity in years of enacting border legislation.

Republicans had long insisted on changes to border and migration policy as a condition of approving any additional aid to Ukraine. But as Senate negotiators close in on a deal that does just that, opposition from former President Trump threatens to sink the bill, which many conservatives say doesn’t go far enough to put the brakes on southern migration.

The House opposition — from GOP leaders on down — is frustrating even some conservative immigration reformers, who fear the Trump-led resistance will sink the GOP’s best chance in years to bolster border security.

“[G]iving up on a border security bill would be a self-inflicted GOP wound,” The Wall Street Journal editorialists warned this month.

https://www.borderreport.com/immigration/house-republicans-poised-to-torpedo-gops-best-chance-in-years-to-pass-border-bill/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If it's no good for America, it isn't an opportunity. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson