Author Topic: A Curious Correlation -Sunspots vs. Major Hurricane Frequency  (Read 275 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Curious Correlation -Sunspots vs. Major Hurricane Frequency
« on: January 31, 2024, 11:53:40 am »
A Curious Correlation -Sunspots vs. Major Hurricane Frequency
2 hours ago
From Andy May (2024): “Roger Pielke Jr. posted this plot (below) of the 3-year frequency of global major hurricanes (he uses a simple count of them) created by Ryan Maue (@RyanMaue). Dr. Maue also posted this plot on his twitter. Looks like an inverse sunspot plot and overlaid the SILSO monthly sunspot count. In the figure, the blue is Maue’s plot, and the orange is a plot of monthly SILSO sunspots. The correlation, or strictly speaking, the anti-correlation is obvious and very interesting. I don’t think Ryan Maue’s plot has been formally published yet.”

Here is my speculation:

It appears that some extreme weather here on Earth might be influenced by changes in solar activity. If the Svensmark cloud hypothesis is correct, increased solar activity deflects more Cosmic Rays (CR) away from the inner solar system producing less ionization in the troposphere, producing fewer clouds with more solar radiation reaching the oceans. Warming oceans leads to a greater temperature differential between the poles and the equator which promotes more hurricane activity.  The oceans have a significant thermal lag – it takes time to heat and cool this huge mass of water so we see a time lag of about 3 years after solar maximum until the hurricane frequency reaches its maximum. As we approach solar minimum more CR ionization occurs producing more clouds and a cooling ocean.  The pole/equator temperature differential then, begins to decline with hurricane frequency also decreasing.

How about the weather on the other planets in our solar system? Might it be influenced by galactic cosmic rays just like here on Earth? The clouds of Neptune captured by the Hubble Space Telescope were obtained over nearly 30 years over which is plotted the solar UV radiation during the solar cycle. We see maximum cloudiness at solar maximum. Just the opposite of the Svensmark hypothesis, which says maximum cloudiness should occur at solar minimum where CR intensity is maximum.  Seems a paradox here.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/01/31/a-curious-correlation-sunspots-vs-major-hurricane-frequency/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson