Author Topic: What is Tower 22, the base in Jordan where 3 US troops were killed?  (Read 124 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What is Tower 22, the base in Jordan where 3 US troops were killed?
By Jon Gambrell, The Associated Press
 Jan 29, 11:28 AM

An Oct. 12, 2023, satellite image of a US base known as Tower 22 in northeastern Jordan. Three American troops were killed and "many" were wounded on Jan. 28 in a drone strike at the installation. (Planet Labs PBC via AP)

JERUSALEM — A little-discussed U.S. military desert outpost in the far reaches of northeastern Jordan has become the focus of international attention after a drone attack killed three American troops and injured at least 34 others there.

“Eight personnel that received injuries required evacuation from Jordan to higher level care, but they are in stable condition,” U.S. Central Command said in a statement Sunday evening. “All other service members are being fully evaluated for follow-on care.”

The base, known as Tower 22, sits near the demilitarized zone on the border between Jordan and Syria along a sandy, bulldozed berm marking the DMZ’s southern edge. The Iraqi border is only six miles away.

Tower 22 began as a Jordanian outpost watching the border, then saw an increased U.S. presence there after American forces entered Syria in late 2015. The small installation includes U.S. engineering, aviation, logistics and security troops with about 350 U.S. Army and Air Force personnel deployed there.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/01/29/what-is-tower-22-the-base-in-jordan-where-3-us-troops-were-killed/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson