Author Topic: Enemy drone that killed US troops in Jordan was mistaken for a US drone, preliminary report suggests  (Read 120 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Enemy drone that killed US troops in Jordan was mistaken for a US drone, preliminary report suggests
An enemy drone that killed three American troops and wounded dozens of others in Jordan may have been confused with an American drone returning to the U.S. installation

ByLOLITA C. BALDOR. AAMER MADHANI Associated Press and ZEKE MILLER Associated Press
January 29, 2024, 11:59 AM

This combination of photos provided by Shawn Sanders, left, and the U.S. Army, center and...Show more
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- U.S. forces may have mistaken an enemy drone for an American one and let it pass unchallenged into a desert base in Jordan where it killed three U.S. troops and wounded dozens more, officials said Monday.

Details of the Sunday attack emerged as President Joe Biden faced a difficult balancing act, blaming Iran and looking to strike back in a forceful way without causing any further escalation of the Gaza conflict.

As the enemy drone was flying in at a low altitude, a U.S. drone was returning to the small installation known as Tower 22, according to a preliminary report cited by two officials, who were not authorized to comment and insisted on anonymity,

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/preliminary-probe-suggests-drone-killed-troops-jordan-confused-106766348
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Almost the exact same thing happened Dec. 7, 1941.  In all this time we haven't learned to put some kind of transponder on them for identification purposes? :facepalm2:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson