Author Topic: Taxes on Social Security hit some for first time: What to know  (Read 796 times)

Offline corbe

Taxes on Social Security hit some for first time: What to know
« on: January 29, 2024, 11:03:55 pm »
Taxes on Social Security hit some for first time: What to know

Social Security recipients need to run the numbers to find out if their benefits are now taxable.

By Justin Dennis and Danielle Langenfeld | Jan. 29, 2024

Thanks to a recent cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), millions of people are getting bigger monthly checks from Social Security.

Many of those people are now learning they’ll have to pay taxes on those benefits — taxes some have never had to pay before.

Although Social Security has been adjusted each year since 1975 to account for inflation, as FOX News Business explains, “The amount of benefits exempted from taxes has remained unchanged for decades.”

(WJW) — Millions of Social Security beneficiaries are seeing bigger monthly checks thanks to a recent cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), but at the same time, many are now learning they’ll have to pay taxes on those benefits — taxes some have never had to pay before.

According to a recent survey by The Senior Citizens League, during the 2023 tax season, 23% of survey participants who received Social Security for three years or more said they paid taxes on it for the first time.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/poverty/4434167-taxes-on-social-security-hit-some-for-first-time-what-to-know/

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

Re: Taxes on Social Security hit some for first time: What to know
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 11:04:38 pm »
If you still need help determining if your benefits are now taxable, click here for an interactive tax assistant tool provided by the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/are-my-social-security-or-railroad-retirement-tier-i-benefits-taxable
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 12:06:29 am »
If you still need help determining if your benefits are now taxable, click here for an interactive tax assistant tool provided by the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/are-my-social-security-or-railroad-retirement-tier-i-benefits-taxable

Thanks! I hate going thru the SS math every year. This is the first year we don't owe any taxes. I can't remember when that's happened before.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 12:16:46 am »
  Though I dissolved my LLC 7 years ago, when I retired, this is the first year I pay.  Though I jump though the hoops to hide Income.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 12:19:03 am »
Thanks! I hate going thru the SS math every year. This is the first year we don't owe any taxes. I can't remember when that's happened before.

Last year we got audited yet again, because we didn't owe.  This year ... well ... I can only hope that we don't owe. With the increase in SS benefits we just might. We get a reduction in property taxes based on our adjusted income -- that might be down the toilet now as well.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2024, 12:42:02 am »
Well we have to pay...$300 more than last year.

Mike has already increased the amount of tax withheld from his military pension..so much for the cola increase..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34