Author Topic: Senate Democrats call on Pentagon to halt aid to human rights abusers and coup governments  (Read 188 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Senate Democrats call on Pentagon to halt aid to human rights abusers and coup governments
BY BRAD DRESS - 01/26/24 3:10 PM ET

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Ben Cardin (D-Md.) on Friday called for the Biden administration to halt plans for joint military exercises with military units of countries accused of human rights abuses, or democratic nations fallen to coups.

In a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the senators expressed concern the Pentagon is inviting units from countries overtaken by coups or that have participated in internationally condemned human rights abuses, including Sudan and Azerbaijan, to join American troops in military drills.

“We therefore request that [the Department of Defense] not invite foreign security force units to U.S. military exercises from the aforementioned countries, or countries in which the duly elected government has been deposed by coup d’etat,” they wrote.

The senators are concerned the trainings violate the Leahy Law, which prohibits U.S. assistance to foreign military units suspected of human rights abuses.

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4431570-senate-democrats-call-pentagon-halt-aid-human-rights-coups/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I thought it was a kind of right of passage for democrats to aid and support human rights violators around the world! :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Would any of those nations be African Sahel nations fiting Islamic exteremist terrorist groups?

Would any nations that are refused help from the US turning to Russia and the Wagner Group for help?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.