Author Topic: Commentary: 64 million Americans risk losing work under new Biden administration rule  (Read 273 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Commentary: 64 million Americans risk losing work under new Biden administration rule
Story by Rachel Greszler, The Heritage Foundation • 3h

Whether working full time for themselves or part time as contractors, picking up occasional gig work, or having a side hustle, an estimated 64 million Americans performed some sort of independent work in 2023.

These aren’t just accountants or Uber drivers. They’re IT consultants, makeup artists, musicians, interpreters, fitness instructors, copy editors and truck drivers—just to name a few.

But now, their ability to be their own boss is in jeopardy. A Department of Labor rule, scheduled to take effect March 11, would significantly restrict the right to work as an independent contractor instead of being treated as an employee.

Proponents of the rule argue that workers who aren’t formal employees won’t be protected by labor laws regulating things like minimum wages, work hours and unemployment insurance. They assume the regulation will simply shift contractors to employee status without significant changes in their work or lifestyles.

But California shows it doesn’t work that way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/commentary-64-million-americans-risk-losing-work-under-new-biden-administration-rule/ar-BB1hpVG0?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=e02457b8a8344869b6871833ecc4f6d8&ei=35
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I remember Nazi Pelosi saying the more people laid off, the better the economy.  This would indicate the Biden rule will make the US one of the best economies in the world. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
rangerrebew:
I remember Nazi Pelosi saying the more people laid off, the better the economy.

i think she failed to describe what she meant fully. I remember Nazi Pelosi saying the more AMERICAN people laid off, the better the economy IS FOR CHINA AND THE CHINESE PEOPLE.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions