Author Topic: Could a device used in sports help reduce traumatic brain injuries?  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Could a device used in sports help reduce traumatic brain injuries?
By Todd South
 Thursday, Jan 25

LAS VEGAS — A device used by professional athletes could offer a way to reduce the damage caused by concussive blasts common to both training and combat, its developers say. However, critics have questioned how effective this method could be and say more research is needed.

The Q-Collar, made by Q30 Innovations, is on display here at this year’s Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show.

The collar, approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use to mitigate repetitive concussive impacts such as those received in contact sports, was analyzed in a recent study that partnered Army researchers with Emory University and concluded its first phase in November, Q30 CEO Tom Hoey told Military Times.

The recent analysis looked at blast exposure, like that experienced by soldiers using explosives and artillery, mortars or shoulder-fired weapons. While research into repetitive impacts has been evaluated by the FDA, blast exposure has not yet been reviewed by the agency.

Military Times recently reported that at least 459,000 troops have been diagnosed with a form of traumatic brain injury since 2000.

https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2024/01/25/could-a-device-used-in-sports-help-reduce-traumatic-brain-injuries/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Could a device used in sports help reduce traumatic brain injuries?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:55:04 pm »
Then they need to require troops wear it in bars! @@@girlfight
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson