Author Topic: Talks to begin on the future of U.S. troop presence in Iraq  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Talks to begin on the future of U.S. troop presence in Iraq
« on: January 28, 2024, 03:44:47 pm »
Talks to begin on the future of U.S. troop presence in Iraq
By Meghann Myers
 Thursday, Jan 25

Nearly 21 years after the U.S. first invaded Iraq, a decade after American troops returned to beat back ISIS, and seven years after U.S. and Iraqi forces ended the ISIS caliphate, the governments of the United States and Iraq are sitting down to discuss if, when and how the remaining 2, 500 U.S. troops will officially leave the country once again.

The so-called Iraq Higher Military Commission convened for the first time Thursday to chart a path forward for U.S. troops there, according to a statement issued by Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

The commission will “discuss how the Coalition’s mission to defeat ISIS will transition on a timeline that considers three key factors: the threat from ISIS, operational and environmental requirements, and the Iraqi security forces’ capability levels,” Austin said.

Still, the U.S. and Iraq appeared to begin the talks on different pages Thursday.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/01/25/talks-begin-on-the-future-of-us-troop-presence-in-iraq/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Talks to begin on the future of U.S. troop presence in Iraq
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:46:50 pm »
At one time, Iraq supposedly had one of the top armies in the world.  Has it been Americanized to the point it can't take care of itself? :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson