Author Topic: NDIA POLICY POINTS: The Costs and Scope of CMMC 2.0  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NDIA POLICY POINTS: The Costs and Scope of CMMC 2.0
« on: January 28, 2024, 03:34:07 pm »
CYBER

NDIA POLICY POINTS: The Costs and Scope of CMMC 2.0
1/26/2024
By Rachel A. McCaffrey and Michael Seeds   

While yet to be fully implemented, the Defense Department first proposed the Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification program in 2019, and the concept seems simple.

CMMC will ensure defense contractors comply with their contractual obligations to protect controlled unclassified information, or CUI, by requiring companies to hire third-party assessors to certify compliance, moving away from the “self-attestation” model.

However, nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and since the CMMC framework was first announced in 2019, “uncertainty” is a word that has been closely associated with the program.

The Defense Department released a proposed rule to implement the second iteration of CMMC, dubbed CMMC 2.0, on Dec. 26. The rule makes several changes, including reducing the number of compliance levels from five to three, aligning Level 2 compliance with National Institute of Standards and Technology Special Publication 800-171, and aligning Level 3 compliance with NIST SP 800-171 and 800-172.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2024/1/26/ndia-policy-points-the-costs-and-scope-of-cmmc-20
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: NDIA POLICY POINTS: The Costs and Scope of CMMC 2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:38:52 pm »
The ability to keep information classified depends on the number of people who DON'T have it.  In other words, the only way to keep information secret is if only one person knows.  With each addition the odds diminish.  And the military is going to require third party auditors? :shrug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson