Author Topic: When admirals obstruct justice  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
When admirals obstruct justice
« on: January 28, 2024, 03:07:42 pm »

When admirals obstruct justice
By Jeffrey J. Matthews
 Jan 26, 12:44 PM

An investigation last year revealed a slew of covered-up sex crimes at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Cadets are shown here. (AP Photo/Steven Senne)
Jeffrey J. Matthews is an historian at the University of Puget Sound and the author of “Generals and Admirals, Criminals and Crooks: Dishonorable Leadership in the U.S. Military.”

A well-known legal axiom has it that the cover-up is often worse than the crime.

President Richard Nixon’s attempts to conceal his administration’s involvement in the Watergate break-in, for example, ultimately led to his humiliation and resignation.

Oftentimes, however, the crime and the cover-up are equally appalling. An ongoing scandal involving the U.S. Coast Guard provides a vivid case in point.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2024/01/26/when-admirals-obstruct-justice/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson