Author Topic: Former San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin on the city’s ‘hard turn to the right’  (Read 636 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE FIFTY

Former San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin on the city’s ‘hard turn to the right’

POLITICO sat down with Boudin in Berkeley, where he leads a new University of California criminal justice center, to talk about lessons from his downfall and the broader outlook for the causes he championed.

Chesa Boudin addresses supporters.
The larger progressive approach to criminal justice Chesa Boudin embodied endures, pursued by district attorneys around the country. | Noah Berger/AP

By JEREMY B. WHITE

01/24/2024 05:00 AM EST

Chesa Boudin was San Francisco’s top prosecutor for less than three years. In that short time he became a potent symbol of a movement to rethink crime and punishment’s promise — and its perils.

The public defender and son of leftist radicals who spent years in prison for their roles in a deadly armed robbery was elected district attorney on a platform of cutting incarceration and cracking down on rogue cops. It didn’t last long. He was ousted in a 2022 recall election fomented by a potent blend of crime fears fanned by increases in homicides and property crimes, Covid-era frustration and Boudin’s practice of diverting offenders.

Yet the larger progressive approach to criminal justice Boudin embodied endures, pursued by district attorneys around the country. At the same time, public safety has become a politically volatile issue that Republicans eagerly and often effectively use as a bludgeon. Some wary Democrats in blue states like New York and California have begun to retreat by reversing changes to bail and the discovery process and mulling tougher property crime penalties, marking yet another turn in a decadeslong push and pull.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/24/chesa-boudin-san-francisco-interview-00137358
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I doubt I would believe that SF took a hard turn  to the  right if I was actually there to see it as it happened.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LMAO

I suppose he’s right

San Francisco was so far to the left that they couldn’t go any further that any movement to the right, however small, would be  considered a hard right  turn
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I suppose he’s right

San Francisco was so far to the left that they couldn’t go any further that any movement to the right, however small, would be  considered a hard right  turn

Agree!  A hard turn to the right just makes them radical.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson