Author Topic: CIVILIAN CONTROL OF THE MILITARY: A CRUMBLING FOUNDATION?  (Read 192 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CIVILIAN CONTROL OF THE MILITARY: A CRUMBLING FOUNDATION?
« on: January 27, 2024, 07:38:25 pm »
CIVILIAN CONTROL OF THE MILITARY: A CRUMBLING FOUNDATION?
 TODD A. SCHMIDT , CARRIE LEE  JANUARY 26, 2024 2 MIN READ

Civilian control of the military is a foundational concept of democracy in the United States. In recent years, voices in the community that study the civilian-military relationship have raised concerns that civilian control is being slowly eroded away by the outsized participation of the military in national policy making. Todd Schmidt, Director, Army University Press, joins guest host Carrie Lee to share his thoughts on how the nation got here and what might be done to better balance the relationship. This is the sixth episode in our multi-part special series supporting the U.S. Army War College’s Civil-Military Relations Center.

The information and data that informs policy, where is that information and data coming from? Is it coming from the Joint Staff? Is it coming from the intelligence community? I would argue that the agency that provides the information that informs policy, they’re having significant control over public policy.

https://warroom.armywarcollege.edu/podcasts/civ-mil-6/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 07:54:31 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson