Author Topic: Air Transportation: Tilt Rotor Tragedies  (Read 218 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Transportation: Tilt Rotor Tragedies
« on: January 27, 2024, 07:20:47 pm »
 Air Transportation: Tilt Rotor Tragedies

January 26, 2024: The US Navy grounded its entire CMV-22B carrier logistics tiltrotor aircraft in December 2023 because one of them crashed off the Japanese coast. The navy returned its semi-retired C-2A fixed wing aircraft to perform the onboard deliveries to and from aircraft carriers. Earlier in 2023 there were problems with troublesome components in V-22 tilt-rotor aircraft. For example, V-22s were grounded because of a troublesome component, the Input Quill Assembly. This component is part of the propeller gear box, which also houses the aircraft clutch assembly that enables the V-22 to operate like a helicopter while landing and taking off and a fixed wing transport for the rest of the flight, traveling much faster than a helicopter.

Problems with V-22 reliability never seem to end. In mid-2022 the U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command grounded its 52 CV-22B transports indefinitely, except for emergencies. The air force wanted to discover what was the cause, and cure, for four incidents since 2017 involving HCE (hard clutch engagement) when the CV-22B switches the position of the rotors between vertical (helicopter) and horizontal (conventional flight) mode. There were also two fatal accidents this year involving Marine Corps V-22s. One accident was attributed to pilot error in unfamiliar mountain terrain. The other accident occurred on a desert training range. No reason given for that one. Marine V-22s have also suffered from HCE accidents but the marines do not consider these dangerous enough to ground its V-22s.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htairmo/articles/20240126.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Air Transportation: Tilt Rotor Tragedies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 10:19:17 pm »
That craft has seen fatalities from crashes well before the "release for use," years ago. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: