Author Topic: US Military Can’t Sustain Arctic Operations, ‘Let Alone Dominate,’ Experts Say  (Read 819 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US Military Can’t Sustain Arctic Operations, ‘Let Alone Dominate,’ Experts Say
JANUARY 18, 2024| SONNER KEHRT

Missile launchers illuminated under the glowing green fingers of the northern lights, white-and-gray camo with fur-lined hoods, Green Berets perched two to a snowmobile—these were the scenes from Arctic Edge in 2022, a biannual joint training exercise first convened in 2018 to train troops to operate in the marginal conditions north of the Arctic Circle.

“[These exercises] bring us all together as a joint, combined, and allied force to think about how we can defend the Arctic, how we can work together to not just survive up here, but thrive and be able to protect our homeland,” the commander of the military’s Alaskan Command, Lt. Gen. David Krumm, said after the 2022 exercise.

In recent years, the U.S. military has highlighted exercises like this to underscore the importance of the Arctic, trumpeting its commitment to protecting U.S. security interests there.

https://thewarhorse.org/us-military-cant-sustain-arctic-operations-experts-say/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Maybe illegals can show them how to handle it. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

Quote from: the article
“We don’t have the capability to sustain forces up there,” says Ryan Burke, the research director of the Homeland Defense Institute at U.S. Northern Command, as well as an affiliate professor at University of Alaska Fairbanks’ Center for Arctic Security and Resilience and the co-director of Project 6633 at West Point’s Modern War Institute. “We don’t have the infrastructure, we don’t have the know-how, we don’t have the institutional knowledge. We don’t have any of what we need to be present, let alone to actually dominate the damn thing.”

That is more a matter of will on the part of the fed US forces.
Mountain state boys function fine in the piney forest, though Ozark and Appalachian folks would have to adapt. Those of us used to low temps and pine woods would do just fine... And the Northern Plains boys are well adapted too, to function above the tree line into the muskeg. And don't forget our allied Canucks.

We have the people and the know how. The only thing lacking would be the gear and commitment.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Neither can anyone else,so why is this a big deal?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
That is more a matter of will on the part of the fed US forces.
Mountain state boys function fine in the piney forest, though Ozark and Appalachian folks would have to adapt. Those of us used to low temps and pine woods would do just fine... And the Northern Plains boys are well adapted too, to function above the tree line into the muskeg. And don't forget our allied Canucks.

We have the people and the know how. The only thing lacking would be the gear and commitment.
Maybe it's a problem with the electric dogsleds...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Maybe it's a problem with the electric dogsleds...

You just might have a point.  :silly: