Author Topic: Ship shortage forces Marines to consider alternate deployments  (Read 179 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Ship shortage forces Marines to consider alternate deployments
« on: January 26, 2024, 02:59:44 pm »
Ship shortage forces Marines to consider alternate deployments
By Megan Eckstein
 Jan 25, 05:02 PM

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Marine Corps is looking more closely at how to leverage alternate ships to keep its forces at sea, amid an amphibious ship shortage a top Marine called the “single biggest existential threat” to the service.

Lt. Gen. Karsten Heckl, the deputy commandant for combat development and integration, told Defense News the Navy is seeking to improve amphib ship readiness and on-time maintenance. But with the Pentagon weighing whether to pause future amphibious ship production, he said the Marines are more serious than ever about using other kinds of ships, including the expeditionary sea base and the expeditionary fast transport.

He said the expeditionary fast transport, or EPF, has been successfully used by Marines in the Pacific several times recently. It’s not tailor-made for amphibious missions, he noted in the Jan. 12 interview, but “we’re just going to have to make do.”

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2024/01/25/ship-shortage-forces-marines-to-consider-alternate-deployments/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ship shortage forces Marines to consider alternate deployments
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 03:00:55 pm »
I have the eco-friendly solution, buy several hundred thousand hot air balloons and let them drift to where they need to go. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson