Author Topic: Wrong, New York Times and BBC, A New Study Doesn’t Prove Climate Change Is Causing the Amazon’s Drou  (Read 230 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wrong, New York Times and BBC, A New Study Doesn’t Prove Climate Change Is Causing the Amazon’s Drought

By
Linnea Lueken
January 25, 2024

Several mainstream news sources, including The New York Times (NYT) and BBC, claim that a new study shows that recent severe drought conditions in the Amazon rainforest were “fueled” or driven by climate change. The stories are false on two fronts. First, the study in question merely says the drought was made more likely due to climate change, but more pressing, the study does not get into a detailed analysis of the causes of the drought, and real-world data show that severe drought is not becoming more common in the Amazon.

The study is another in a growing number of rapid attribution studies from a group called World Weather Attribution Initiative (WWAI) that finger climate change as the primary driver of extreme weather events. As with past “studies” produced by WWAI, the mainstream media is only too happy to once again promote and even exaggerate what the study claims.

Ryan Maue, a meteorologist and weather researcher, pointed out that the media reporting on this latest attribution study is wildly inconsistent, with some articles like one from the NYT admitting that severe drought still would have occurred even if there was no anthropogenic (human-caused) warming; the BBC explaining that El Niño conditions are a contributing factor, and Financial Times saying that El Niño is NOT a major influence. Maue goes on to say that the most accurate reporting about the study was done by Axios, which reported that El Niño and climate change reduced rainfall by “about the same amount” and “while the El Niño worsened the drought, higher temperatures were the catalyst, and also vaulted it to more severe levels[.]”

https://climaterealism.com/2024/01/wrong-new-york-times-and-bbc-a-new-study-doesnt-prove-climate-change-is-causing-the-amazons-drought/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline The_Reader_David

I find the use of "climate change" as a causal explanation for weather patterns bizarre.  Weather is not climate (a mantra of the alarmists, which is true as far as it goes), but climate is weather, averaged and aggregated over time and location.   A changes in an average do not cause changes in the individual data points, rather it is the other way around.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.